Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Quiz/Drag Show - TUES 3RD FEB

Options
  • 25-01-2004 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

For any TCD Students out there, Trinity LGBT are holding a Table Quiz & Drag Show on campus in the Buttery @ 8:00PM on Tuesday 3rd February as part of our Rainbow Week events :)

Due to our student bar's admission restrictions you need to be a TCD student, or to go along with one, to get in... but we'd luv to have as many ppl as people :p

For more info on Trinity LGBT and our Rainbow Week happening 1st Feb - 8th Feb just check out our website - www.TrinityLGB.org

AX :D

Alex
    treasurer@trinitylgb.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

Here we go again. I hate drag. Not only not entertaing its usually embarrassing. Mostly it frightens guys, alenates those already trying to cope with their sexuality and provides an indefencible performance space for the talent free. Drag is a cry for help!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Drag is a cry for help? Somewhat odd words after you decrying Vader earlier, surely? Different strokes for different folks...

I agree with your "here we go again" though. Drag acts are way too prominent at gay events. Frankly they become boring, particularly when the same tired act gets repeated time and time again. Oh look they're miming to an old classic in an OTT fashion - AGAIN. It's quite stagnant and, I reckon, possibly alienating to a certain extent, especially to those emerging from the closet. Shrug. And if you must have someone, it should be Annie Balls, the only one whose work I ever found remotely amusing. She'd make mincemeat out of the teams...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

Nope Tuesday is still on in the Buttery and then onto GLITZ afterwards ;)

That thread refers to our Intervarsity night which is still happening on the Thursday of that week (Thurs Feb 5th) where there's been a change of venue.
    Mostly it frightens guys, alenates those already trying to cope with their sexuality and provides an indefencible performance space for the talent free. Drag is a cry for help!

The whole purpose of the Table Quiz & Drag Show is to hold an event in our student bar which is different to the many other table quizes and to give it a gay flavour. It was decided to hold it in our student bar so that we'd get a broad range people (whether they be straight, gay, bi or whatever) - and having it in an open venue means that gay people who are uncomfortable about joining or getting involved in the LGBT Society can enjoy the event with their friends and also a way to publicise our other events in Rainbow Week. It's being held after our Students' Union Council which will mean there will be a crowd there anyway.
    Drag acts are way too prominent at gay events. Frankly they become boring, particularly when the same tired act gets repeated time and time again.

This might be the case for you from being out on the scene, but you have to understand that it will all be new to 95% of the people there and so it will be new to a lot of our members who aren't out and also to the "straight" crowd. The main reason we added the Drag element was to add something different to the event and raise awareness of Rainbow Week and in doing so combat homophobia on campus.
    And if you must have someone, it should be Annie Balls, the only one whose work I ever found remotely amusing. She'd make mincemeat out of the teams...

The main Drag acts on the scene request a certain fee - which is completely fine and fair. I've gotta to know 'Davina', 'Demeanor' & 'April' quite well over the last couple of months and they were more than willing to help out - but we will be paying them a bit. As Treasurer I know how our finances work and we don't have enough money to hold a huge event without taking from our weekly events during the year - sponsorship is always appreciated! ;)

But guys... it's a night to have fun and raise awareness on campus - don't knock our efforts :)

Alex
    Treasurer
    Trinity LGBT Society - http://www.TrinityLGB.org

Advertisement