Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about XFM???

Options
  • 25-01-2004 10:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im not sure if XFM Dublin is legal (i have a feeling it isnt), so if not, how did you manage to avoid the RegCom crack down on pirate stations???

and are you the XFM whom applied for a Dublin licence in July, or is that the English XFM??

Cheers,

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It is the UK Xfm who want to come over to our shores and operate a station here. Our streets are dominated with UK stores so why shouldn't our airwaves!

Today FM - Owned by SRH
    Lite FM - Owned by UTV
    FM104 - About to be owned by SRH
    98FM - Communicorp (at least it's Irish)
    Spin 1038 - Mostly owned by Communicorp
    Newstalk - Mostly owned by Communicorp along with FM104 and Setanta
    Country 106.8 - loads of owners who are connected to East Coast radio who are partly owned by Communicorp
    Anna Livia - Community owned
    Radio na Life - Community owned
    RTE - publicly owned

So there are only a few owners in the "competitive" market that is Dublin. Not so much choice either!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jesus, thats abit of a joke really... the only commercial station i like is newstalk and some bits of Today FM, they can have the rest (we can trade them spin, country, 98fm and fm104 for today fm).

at least theres a chance of something decent (eg Phantom) coming along soon, with the 4 new licences up for grabs (heres hoping).

also a new report says that up to 25% of our radio waves are not being utilised, so the BCI and ComReg cant really make excuses about a full FM band anymore....

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sexton

just wondering, in what way is phantom good?

it's ****ing muck. i think. it puts me off music.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

xfm has nothing whatsoever do to with the english one.......

started off life here as alices restaturant i think

it is very different to phantom and quite welcome too.if everyone was to obey the laws over here radio wise over the years it would now be only wall to wall robbie williams:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

sorry sexton, phantom is good in the way that usually it has some goos stuff on it (or at least 1000 times better than the other stations on air), thats the magic of opinion.

and theres no doubt xfm is different, from what ive heard of the station, its seems like very obscure stuff, maybe it was just the show i happened to tune into, not really my thing but Id much prefer it to the commercial crap we have to put up with...

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

what's all this yap about phantom and xfm. I think both are crap...and then you get little nuggets of greatness between the ****e. That pete reid guy...I'd dump him though.
    :)
    D.

Advertisement