Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap replacement woofer for an old Akai hi-fi speaker...?

Options
  • 25-01-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wonder if you can help?

My old Sony stereo sytem at home is using an "ancient-but-still-working-fine" set of Akai speakers — model no. SR-H77, but don't even bother searching for it, they must be about 20 years old. Grand old sound out of them, though — they were once a good quality 3-way system, 8 OHMS, 70W rated and 110W max input, all housed in massive "built-like-a-brick-****house" timber casings which double as bedside tables ...you get the picture! (attached below, if you don't).

Problem is that the woofer is blown in one of them. It developed a buzzing noise a couple of years ago, which I discovered was down to a loose connection wire to the cone. At the time I "fixed" the problem by running a very lightly-tensioned bit of elastic thread around the wire and one arm of the speaker mounting, just enough to take up the slack, and this kept it going until now..! But now it's well and truly dead, and deserves a dignified exit...

I'm quite fond of the sound out of these old relics and would love to just pick up a cheap woofer component that I could fit reasonably easily inside the speaker enclosure. I'd be prepared to jemmy it together with some sort of home-made brackets if I could get something that fit roughly into the cavity (looks to be about 11" in diameter, I think...)

Any suggestions or offers? Would be happy to cover postage costs, etc., or have it picked up by someone else, depending on location...

Thanks for any help you can offer.

peckerhead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It's sad when a set of speakers you love bite the dust. I have a very old (35 years) set of Celestion Ditton 25's that gave great sevice - er actually still do !

Firstly : to get the best sound you should really replace BOTH woofers. Otherwise you will be very uncomfortable with the different sound from each speaker. Peats wholesale used to do some half decent drive units that would fit the bill, you could try them. Otherwise the link below should get you what you want. I think you should look for a 10" woofer by the way, the standard sizes are . . . 8" - 10" - 12" - 15" etc. Measure just the cone diameter to get the actual size.

Speakers

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for the tip, Tinky — I'll get out the measuring tape!

peckerhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't wish to be offensive . . but . . .
    I'll get out the measuring tape!

and Peckerhead conjour up some very strange images !!!

/grimices

:D

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

You could also try Maplins in Blanchardstown or Jervis St.

Here's a link to the UK website (prices in Sterling)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search/results.asp?CartID=040129000755950&Level=1&Menu=133&Name=Loudspeakers and Sounders

Advertisement