Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The moon

Options
  • 25-01-2004 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I recently got a telescope and only got to use it for the first time tonight, //
    anyway I got some real clear images of the moon (could see craters, etc) its
    all I could see cos I can't use the finderscope yet but my question is - why is
    the moon only visible for a few hours before it disappears over the horizon?
    I remember looking at it months ago and it would stay in the sky all night
    Also if anyone could give some tips on looking at anything else besides the moon
    Id appreciate it :) Cos Im fairly new to astronomy..
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

'twas brillig, and the slithy toves ... did the gire and the gimble in the wab
    .. all mimsy where the borrow groves .. and the mome rats outgrabe'

sorry ... just got a glimpse of the cheshire moon ... couldn't resist...

but back to the point ... from where I stand .. they moon has been in view all evening...

mind you ... I'm not an astronomer .. nor have a telescope! :D sorry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its to do with relative positions (orbits) in space I think!

Check this site -

http://www.nightskyobserver.com/moon.htm

Full of moon stuff.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by substr
    Thanks mike65 that site explained a lot
    There wont be a full moon until february, also I read that when theres
    a full moon, you cant see craters and details as well? Any truth to this?

Yep a full moon is not great to look as there are no shadows cast by the craters. You need a cresent moon tonights was ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

How long it stays in the sky depends on its phase.

A young moon, that shows a thin crescent like we have at the moment. Was almost directly in from of the sun a few days ago and so is still close to the sun in the sky. So it will set soon after it.

A full moon, will rise a sunset since it is at the opposite side of the sky to the sun, and will be visible untill around sunrise when the moon will set.

The last case is an old moon, which will rise in the hours before dawn.

Mike already gave you the address of Gary Nugents site, he also writes Lunar Phase Pro which is very useful software if you get into lunar observing (cant remember the cost offhand). Gary btw, is a regular at IAS meetings if you would like to chat to him about his site or lunar observing.

As for what else to see... there are plenty of resources online, Sky and Telescope skypub.com has a nice tool for showing whats visible. Closer to home you can download the latest Arcturus from http://www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/viewFiles.php?folder_id=3
    This has a few pages on what to see.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    --
    Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies
    www.irishastronomy.org

Advertisement