Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool trying to sign Diego Tristan

• 25-01-2004 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

From Koptalk :

Liverpool have made a late swoop for Deportivo La Coruna striker Diego Tristan.

Gerard Houllier is trying to sign the 28-year-old Spanish ace on loan until the end of the season and negotiations are currently underway.

The striker recently had a bust-up with coach Javier Irureta following a heated touchline exchange during a cup match against Atletico Madrid and has indicated that he wants out.

If signed within the next couple of days, Emile Heskey could be sold after all. Middlesbrough recently stated that they had ended their interest in the player but if a deal could be finalised before the transfer window closes, they would definitely do business.

Reports also suggest that Fulham have made an offer for the Liverpool striker.

IMO would be very good signing seeing as euro 2004 is just around the corner and Tristan would be pushing for the spanish team, plus we could finally get rid of heskey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

tbh I know very little about Diego Tristan but you only have to look at the game yesterday, as soon as heskey was subbed they seemed like a different team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rooty

would be a good signing, but it would only be a matter of time before Houllier would "encourage" him to develop his game by playing him at left back. Oh, and get rid of HESKEY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Am i the only person in the world(who is also a man utd fan) that likes Heskey and thinks he is a good player?

Seriously...am i?:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

tristan was only playing minutes ago and he didnt seem too unhappy(he was quite lively too.) although deportivo have suffered a suprising defeat to bilbao. 1-0 the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Am i the only person in the world(who is also a man utd fan) that likes Heskey and thinks he is a good player?

Seriously...am i?:dunno:

No your not, its not his fault that while he was on the pitch yesterday he was the target of long balls...Houllier
    has never tried to use him to best effect. Heskey has been too diffident as a striker it must be said. Maybe a move would do him some good too.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by mike65
    ...Houllier has never tried to use him to best effect.

totally agree with you..

liverpool never use the flanks if heskey is on... only in the second half against newcastle did they use the flanks and crossed the ball.. but heskey wasnt on...

IMO if heskey was given the chance maybe he would get on the end of some the crosses and score...

Tristan - would probably end up as being used as a winger down the right to replace Diouf :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

lol- isn't he tall - so he probably wants him as a centreback

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by kida
    lol- isn't he tall - so he probably wants him as a centreback
    LOL. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Michael Owen - will you please leave liverpool?

Same with gerrard and Heskey. Good players in a **** team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tristan and Heskey are too good for 'Pool atm, they need players who can come down to their level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Ronaldo7

Am i the only person in the world that likes Heskey and thinks he is a good player?

I actually like heskey too. I think he has found a lack of support from his own fans and Houlier has failed to address his serious lack of confidence. I reckon if O'Neill was to join Liverpool as rumours strongly suggest then we could see a rejuvenated Heskey, If he stays with Liverpool that is.

Back to Diego Tristan. He has been a star for La Coruna over the years and he is a really skillful intelligent player. The only thing is Spanish players don't tend to move from Spain all that well so It would be interesting to see it happen. TBH I'd be surprised to see him do well in North England in the middle of January. Premiership teams should sign French or Dutch strikers the whole time, they always do brillant in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RT

Liverpool have made a late swoop for Deportivo La Coruna striker Diego Tristan.

Cripes, that's a punishment the lad definitely doesn't deserve.
    Surely the row can't have been that bad?

The bleating from Poos fans takes some beating. Forever believing the club will return to what they once were (when football was a brutal pitiful game.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Premiership teams should sign French or Dutch strikers the whole time, they always do brillant in the premiership.

Based on who? Henry, Van Nistelrooy and Cantona maybe? Hasselbaink possibly!?

What about all the flops? Also theres only so many you can sign from the one country without getting ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by RT
    Cripes, that's a punishment the lad definitely doesn't deserve.
    Surely the row can't have been that bad?

The bleating from Poos fans takes some beating. Forever believing the club will return to what they once were (when football was a brutal pitiful game.)
    what are you, like 15??

football today is full of simulation, and it may be more skillful but its lost a lot of romance and beauty it once had in abundance!!

back to Tristan, this lad is a big strong player like heskey, but a sh1tload better. cant see the pool getting him though!! and it kills me to say that!!

i would be happy with cisse, and a world class midfield player tbh

oh and to get martin o neill would be the best signing of all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Houllier hsoudnt be allowed to spend anymore money cos after hes sacked itll just be another mistake that the new manager has to reverse but with a little less money. and btw a couple of decades of football that shared the likes of pele, Best and maradona as well as the liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's can hardly be described as lacking skill. Todays game (moreso in england) is based on being fit, and this shows wen a lot of foreigners go to play there and cant cope with the pace of the game.

Based on who? Henry, Van Nistelrooy and Cantona maybe? Hasselbaink possibly!?

Hasselbaink has been a huge success in the premiership. He has consistently scored 20+ goals a season.

And yes Henry, Van Nistlerooy, Cantona not to mention Bergkamp and Anelka. Everyone of these players has had a huge bearing on where the premiership title ended up. I don't recall too many spanish players having a say on the premiership ever.

Name me 5 Spanish players that have set the world alight outside La Liga.

Then there are players who are not strikers who have also been hugely influencful in the premiership and English football in general.

Pires, Viera, Overmars, Desailly, Djorkaeff, Guillit, the list goes on.

Any way my point is that Spanish players, while exceptionally talented and brillant in La Liga, they are relatively unproven in the Premiership. Note the word unproven , I'm not saying they won't be a success I am merely saying that there is an element of risk involved.

The Dutch, French and the Italians all seem to do exceptionally well however and it may be a wiser choice to move for one of those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

how many spainish players play in the EPL?...the reason the dutch and french play so well is because their own leagues are of lesser quality...so they need to go abroad to make the big bucks whereas the spainish can stay at home and rake it in.

Posted By Sheron

the reason the dutch and french play so well is because their own leagues are of lesser quality...so they need to go abroad to make the big bucks whereas the spainish can stay at home and rake it in.

That is the most ridiculous statement I've ever read in my life.

Maybe the reason French and Dutch players move to the Premiership is because there domestic leagues are not as good but how could this be the reason that they play so well in the league? Surely the reason is that they are good players that adapt well to the premiership

By your rational players from the Vauxhal conference should be superb in bigger leagues. Talk sense man.

Either way it is totally beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

French and Dutch players have the best youth training in the world, there players are nabbed by English clubs tho(more so french players)

I asked you to name for me some big name spainish players who play in the EPL?.....
    mendieta?

There's hardly no spainish players playing in england so how the bloody hell can you expect them to make a huge impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should be a good buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

Tristan leave deportivo for liverpool? Deportivo still have a chance in le ligo, third i beleive and not a mile behind, liverpool may if lucky get UEFA Cup Football next season. Liverpool need a fresh start, new manager and new ideas.

As for French and Dutch players doing well in the prem, its no wonder, they are the best in the world. I would go looking for young French and Dutch players every day to build my team!

F Torres is one young spanish striker i would love to have, what a talent! We don't know how spanish players will do in prem but i think they would hold their own!

I asked you to name for me some big name spainish players who play in the EPL?.....

There's hardly no spainish players playing in england so how the bloody hell can you expect them to make a huge impact?

Jesus H Christ man. Can you understand english. If you read my post you would see that my point is exactly that here I'll quote it for you.
    Posted by me!

Any way my point is that Spanish players, while exceptionally talented and brillant in La Liga, they are relatively unproven in the Premiership. Note the word unproven , I'm not saying they won't be a success I am merely saying that there is an element of risk involved.

I'll say it again note the word 'unproven'. Hence I am aware that there is very few spanish players in the Premiership, hence it is a risk. Tristan may well prove to be exceptionable I'm merely saying that it is a safer bet to go with the dutch or French since they have been proven.

but surely if they can hold their own in la liga (top league in the world), they can hold their own in the EPL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by SheroN
    but surely if they can hold their own in la liga (top league in the world), they can hold their own in the EPL?

Well no, not really. Look at Mendieta, was savage for Velencia and has been relatively mediocre in England and Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Javi Moreno, who was lethal for Alaves a few seasons back has done very little too since joining Bolton - struggling to get past the mighty Kevin Davies into the line-up

Advertisement