Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KGB Hangover Cure!

Options
  • 25-01-2004 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

The latest remedy claiming to make hangovers obsolete will be launched in Ireland shortly.
    Spirit Sciences, makers of the anti hangover pill RU-21 intend to sell it in health food store. RU-21 was originally formulated by the KGB to ensure their secret agents could ingest alcohol without becoming intoxicated. "It was unsuccessful in preventing drunkeness but they realised it improved the ill-effects brought on by alcohol consumption," said Spirit Sciences Director Emil Chiaberi.
    The KGD developed the remedy after WW2 but the formula remained a secret until 1999 when it was developed into a market commodity by scientists at the Russian Academy of Sciences as part of an extended study of alcohol's effects on the body.
    The Irish Medical board has said that RU-21 is not currently licensed in Ireland. Although it is not a Drug, if the manufacturers claim it has medical benefits, they must apply for a licence.
    Chiaberi said that RU-21 will not be marketed purely as an anti-hangover drug but as a food supplement to aid alcohol digestion. It contains vitamin C, fumeric acid, glutamine (a form of Dextrose) and succinic acid which homeopathic experts maintain is no more than a re-hydration formula

Copyright-Helen Murray
    Sunday Tribune
    Is it just me that finds the highlighted part of this article absolutely hilarious! :D:D

Davros, feel free to move this to the media accountability, homeopathy or CAM regulation thread whichever you feel is more appropriate :D:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

glutamine (a form of Dextrose)

Complete Bóllocks (in the sense of Vicars of the past)

glutamine - an amino acid (ie amine group and carboxyl group)
    http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemistry/bio/aminoacid/glutamin_en.html
    NH2-CO-(CH2)2-CH(NH2)-COOH
    Note: it has nitrogen.

dextrose - (aka glucose) - a simple sugar which contains no nitogen / no amine / no carboxyl groups
    http://www.biotopics.co.uk/as/glucose2.html

Other Amino Acids - http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemistry/bio/amino-acids_en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I wonder would anybody like to sample my homebrew, homeopathic ("homeobrew"?) alcohol? Guaranteed no unpleasant hangover effects!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Capt, you always seem to get side tracked by the little details! :D

My point being Pot, Kettle....Black! :D:D

Homeopathic 'experts' maintaining some hangover remedy is no more than a..........No more than sugar water perhaps. Oh the irony is delicious IMO! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 janeymac

I tried RU21. I went to Galway a couple of weeks ago (for an astronomy weekend!), and decided to be a human guinea pig. I get really bad hangovers if I even smell booze.

Anyway, it actually worked for me. It did surprise me, and I was wondering if it was in my mind. The dosage is a bit awkward - 2 tablets for 2 drinks. (why not just one per drink?) After a while you start forgetting if you've taken your tablets or not.

I was pretty tired for a couple of days, and that was it. I got them from [snipped], so you can try them for yourselves. Let me know how you get on.

Removed the URL. I've no idea whether these things are safe or not but we can't be telling people where to buy unapproved drugs - davros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Complete Bóllocks (in the sense of Vicars of the past)

I worked with a Russian guy whose father was a Colonel in the Glavnoye Razvedovatel'noye Upravlenie (the G.R.U.- Soviet/Russian military intelligence). He told me that the method used by G.R.U./K.G.B. agents to get a target drunk while staying sober yourself was to eat a pound of butter before drinking. The agent could then knock back the vodka, getting their victim helplessly drunk. Didn't mention anything about a drug though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement