Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zalman 7000 + Asus K8V Deluxe

• 25-01-2004 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I just got my my new system components last week :)

I got the Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard and the Zalman 7000-AlCu HSF.

The zalman needs a backplate for mounting on a socket 754, which is provided with it, along with the "nipples" to fix the backplate to the mobo and to fix the HSF to.
    However while fitting the mobo into my new case yesterday I found that the Asus already has a backplate on it, seems to be glued on or something, and the screw holders for the "nipples" to screw into raise the zalman too much so its not sitting properly on the chip.

I tried putting the zalman on using the retention mechanism that came with the mobo and it seems to be a better fit, but it is still about a half millimetre higher than the "nipples" alone.

I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience of fitting a zalman to this board, and what did you do to get around it.

A couple of options I was thinking of was to get someone with a dremel to cut the backplate screw holders on the mobo to a better fit, but this will void my warranty I presume. The other option is to shave the nipples down to a better size to fit the screw holders...
    Any ideas helpful, as my power supply is coming tomorrow and I will have the sys up and running tomorrow night. I don't want to use the stock cooler.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ok, no-one seems to be able to help so far. So...

...Does anyone know where I could get someone to cut the "nipples" of the zalman. It would have to be a rotazip/dremel type tool I'd imagine - I don't have one.

Or if someone knows how to remove something (backplate) from a PCB when its been glued on just let me know.

As regards the "nipples", they seem to be aluminium (kinda like thumbscrews), so if anyone knows a metalwork shop in Dublin (South) where I could get a mil or two cut off them I'd be grateful.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

hard to know what to say really, I know exactly what you're talking about, but really asus shouldn't have glued the backplate to the board. Every other board would come with it seperatable.

The abit I got didn't come with one at all, as the chip comes with it's own backplate, but i had bought a zalman seperately anyway, which I used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not trying to sound like a smart arse but why not just get a different fan?

The zalman is currently the best and quietest HSF available for the socket 754, so thats why I'd like to use it. Plus the package was a b*tch to open and I split it open, so returning it ain't an option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Did you check Zalman's website for compatibility of your motherboard with the HSF. There are also instructions to use the HSF with incompatible boards, ie cutting the clips etc. The last time I looked was before socket 754. Try there before you do anything

• Advertisement

From Zalman website:
    CNPS7000(A) is compatible with all socket 754 motherboards.

I'm still wondering what to do. Asus aven't answered my email so...

Power supply still hasn't arrived because of parcelfarce, so I won't be doing anything til (hopefully!) tomorrow

Thanks for the help guys

Damn thats nasty :(

Did you check K8V forums - bound to find someone who's sorted it (popular mobo, popular HSF)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

YOu might want to ask this on OcUK forums there probably more people there with this board than you'll find here.

Ricardo - yeah, just did that there now. Was waiting for my account to be activated, there does seems to be a lot of people with this mobo there.

unkel - K8V forum's? Never heard of 'em. Care to provide a link? ;)

Well, seems I've finally found the answer. thanks to unkel for pointing me in the right direction. I remembered seeing an Asus forum somewhere before and it was at amdmb.com, where I found my answer.

Looks like I'll be having fun tonight when I get home
    From here
    4)CPU runs very cool. Using the Zalman all copper Flower cooler{A very unique installation. Taking the backplate off the K8V in order to install the one that came with Zalman gave me the hee-bee jee-bees!!! Remember the butt- hole- pucker- effect you experience when you take the shim off a Radeon 9700/9800 chip??? Same thing applies...}

Evidently it takes a plastic spoon and a helluva lot of patience :D

• Advertisement

Glad you got that sorted. Was busy at work today and didn't even see your post today asking me to provide link

Forums are a good place to look for issues that are very specific to one particular make and model of motherboard :)

Advertisement