Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Excempt from the NCT

Options
  • 25-01-2004 11:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bought a car just over 2 years ago from a gararage where I know the guys quite well. Its a jap import Honda, and they got it for me straight from the Docks. Initially he told me that because the car was straight off the boat from Japan, I got a grace period for the NCT, so I could get tax and do my NCT later. 2 years later, and on my 3rd Tax Disc, I have never recieved anything relating to the NCT. Ive never had to do it and I've never even been questioned about it in any way.

Now I need to seell the car and I'm assuming that most people will be quite sceptical about this, thus lowering the chances of selling the car... Can anyone shed some light on what may of hapened, whether I should do anything/nothing. Obviously I don't want to ahev to spend money or go the hassle or gettingsomehting done unless I really have to...

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How olds the car now ie what year was it made rather than registered here? If its 4 years old it needs an NCT

this from www.nct.ie
    15. Will my car need it's NCT if I have imported it from the U.K. or Northern Ireland where it already received an MOT?
    The answer to this question is YES. The NCT is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin (once it is of NCT eligible age bracket), regardless of whether it previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test.

The basic procedure for importing a car is as follows:

Go to customs (Revenue Commissioners) and pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT).
    Customs will issue a Vehicle Registration Certificate which will reference new Irish registration number.
    Get new registration plates fitted.
    Go to NCT centre with Vehicle Registration Certificate and have the vehicle input on NCTS database.
    The following day a test can be booked for the vehicle by phoning the call centre on 1890 412 413.

I see no reason why a Jap import would be treated any differently.

Mike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's 1995 - I bought it Februray 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Will my car need it's NCT if I have imported it from the U.K. or Northern Ireland where it already received an MOT?

The answer to this question is YES. The NCT is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin (once it is of NCT eligible age bracket), regardless of whether it previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test

MY car was imported/reg in NOV/02 and I had no problem getting tax up to the anniversary date of first registration, which was Nov 03.

then, You have to go with your logbook to nearest NCT center and register the car.

Looks like you were due NCT on Feb 03,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Can i get points on my licence for not having a NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by SheroN
    Can i get points on my licence for not having a NCT?

not YET.. but i think their bringing that in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dam Fate! I've gone over 6 months without a problem, and while driving to work this morning with 2 friends in a car, a police bike pulled me over and royally screwed me for no tax or NCT. I was lucky he didn't impound my car... he cop was a comlete as*hole! He said he was putting me on a databse and if I am caught driving my car I will be in court...

I phoned the NCT and they say that they haev no record of my car/reg. Becasue it is a Jap Import I now have to register it at the local center, wait 5 days and then apply for the appointment. I phoned the Tax Office and they say I can get tax without an NCT. Have the rules changed?

I'm going to get the tax sorted on Monday mornng, and then I assume Its 'ok' for me to drive until my appointment for the NCT...

Anyone got any advice?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Friend of mine has a toyota corsa (yes, a toyota corsa), which is a jap. No NCT despite it being here about 4 years. I'm buying it off him once he passes the NCT, as he's only gotten the last tax disc through saying he'd drop it in to the office last time. In short, even though you were never called, you are way overdue...

True. It's weird how if it was never registered they would never know about it. And lets say you kept you tax perfectly up to date, are you ever really going to get caught for not having the NCT? I mean who actually displays the disk, very few... Can you get a fine/points etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Originally posted by Zascar
    Dam Fate! I've gone over 6 months without a problem, and while driving to work this morning with 2 friends in a car, a police bike pulled me over and royally screwed me for no tax or NCT. I was lucky he didn't impound my car... he cop was a comlete as*hole! He said he was putting me on a databse and if I am caught driving my car I will be in court...

oh no! Gardai enforcing the law:rolleyes:

Its was more his attitute to me like I was a hardened criminal... Ive been ulled in the past and the other guards were understanding. He said that I am no to drive the car again unless I am on the way to the NCT. I left my car at work last night, do you think it is too much of a rish to drive it hom tody, so I can go sort out the Tax & NCT on Monday morning, I ahev to drive, i've no other way - my worj wold take about 3 hours to get to on the bus/dart from where I live. Is it too risky to chance getting seen and and 'brought to court'. Its been said many times on this board about how your not supposed to drive the car without tax and NCT, but yet you have to drive to the NCT center!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by Zascar
    True. It's weird how if it was never registered they would never know about it. And lets say you kept you tax perfectly up to date, are you ever really going to get caught for not having the NCT? I mean who actually displays the disk, very few... Can you get a fine/points etc?
    Your insurance company will ask to to see you NCt cert. Tax man wants to see insurance. All a vicous circle. :p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@ MarkR - many companies don't ask for NCT. I have never even been asked about it.

@ Zascar - you were stopped in the past by the gardai and yet you still drive without tax or NCT? I hope a very large book will soon be thrown at you. With regards to your comment about very few cars displaying the NCT disk. I beg to differ. I rarely see a car that should display a disk, not doing so.

Advertisement