Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Golden Maverick, PowerFM.org

• 26-01-2004 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Maverick's back... :D

THE GOLDEN MAVERICK
    Sundays, 5.00 - 7.00pm
    www.PowerFM.org

For best audio, download Media Player 9
    http://windowsmedia.com/9series/download/download.asp

Mac versions available at
    www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/default.asp

Playlist Sunday, January 18th

1. London is the place for me - Lord Kitchener
    This is taken from the album of the same name. It showcases a wonderful array of Trinidadian Calypso artists who recorded in London between 1950 – 1956. This tune is particularly famous as it features on the Pathé newsreel documenting the arrival of the first wave of Trinidadian immigrants to England. Lord Kitchener is kind enough to give the news reporter a few bars of the song as he disembarks from the ship. This is my featured album for the show.

2. How to find Royal Jelly - Lost skrolls of Hamaric
    A 7” on the Best Seven/Sonar Kollectiv label and is a nice, dubby little ditty.

3. Summertare – Polska
    This tune features on the third release on leftfield Dublin label Kin Recordings. Dublin lad Polska also has a slew of tunes out on such labels as Bassbin and Uk label Inperspective.

4. Side partin' - Jimmy Behan
    One of the Road Relish seven inches released by Dave and Julie in Road Records on Fade Street in Dublin. Jimmy has been knocking around for a few years now. This single also features a Connect Four Orchestra tune on the b-side.

5. California new edge - Jimmy Behan
    Another tune by Mr Behan, this one can be found on the first release on Kin Recordings. It’s very nice.

6. Ikae – Esem
    This tune is from a DeFocus 12” from 2000 I think. The label is apparentlt defunct but it was responsible for releasing a steady stream of brilliant albums and 12”’s over the last number of years. Artists on the label roster included Lackluster, CiM, John Tejada and Tim Koch.

7. Love is in the ear – Polar
    Taken from his Out of the Blue EP. Polar is better known as a Drum and Bass producer but lately he has been busy producing and recording electro-style music. This is a funky little number no matter what you call it.

8. diddymousedid – plaid
    This tune features on their P-Brane EP from a couple of years ago. I have been listening to their new album Spokes recently but I reckon it’s one of those types that grows on you over the first 100 listens. They have a knack of always putting one or two brilliant tunes on their albums and that’s enough to get hooked.

9. highest grade dub - roots manuva
    This one features on the ‘Dub come save me’ album. If you haven’t heard this album and in particular the dub version of Witness, then I suggest you go and get yourself a copy real soon.

10. guiding star - horace andy
    Better known by the youth of today for his work with Massive Attack, this is an original Horace Andy classic. He has one of the most distinctive voices in reggae music and it shines on this absolute gem.

11. reggae makoosa - brent dowe
    This one sets off at a pace comparative to the World Indoor Bowls Championship. It’s a safe reggae shuffle that makes you feel better within yourself.

12. man in the street - don drummond
    This on the other hand is original reggae skankin’ madness.

13. i was there (at the coronation) - young tiger
    This also features on the ‘London is the place for me’ album. This is by another young calypso singer and the tune documents his trip to see Queen Elizabeth II coronation. It’s brilliant.

14. 11.55 - Roni Size & DJ Die
    This is an old jungle classic from 95/96 that features on the album ‘Music Box’. A couple of years later Mr Size won a Mercury Music Award for his Reprazent album but his first album ‘Music Box’ kicked the pants off that.

15. flyest gangsta - accident & emergency feat Gamebwoy
    A new tune that is currently on release from Dublin drum and bass label Looney Tunes. It features the work of threee Dublin producers Kenny, Keevo and Don Rosco. I think it’s magic.

16. injustice - jung collective
    This is a 7” on the nannytango label and is about four minutes of funktastic music.

17. quarksparking - mighty math
    On a Different Drummer 7” released a couple of years ago and is a slow melodic electronic piece of work. Lots of blips , bleeps and burps to keep you interested.

18. hermann & kleine - hello, this one is for you
    This tune features on a Morr Music compilation called ‘putting the Morr back in Morrissey’. The album also features great tunes from Lali Puna and Christian Kleine.

19. flim - aphex twin
    This is the tune on the b-side of the ‘Come to Daddy’ 12”. ‘Flim’ is one of my most favourite Aphex Twin tunes and that’s saying something because most of his tunes are great.

20. meanwnile – lackluster
    Features on their ‘r u oho’ 12” on DeFocus from 2000. Lackluster has released a couple of 12”’s and an album on this label and all of it is brilliant.

21. eloki.neadu – esem
    Taken from the Esem album ‘enveloped’, also on DeFocus records. The album was released in 2002 or at least around that time and features lots of chilled out electronica as well as a few curveballs.

22. dead already - thomas newmann
    This is probably best known as the music that’s used in the movie ‘American Beauty’. I think it’s really nice so that’s why I played it.

23. nil – autechre
    An all time Autechre classic that features on the album ‘Amber’. Fab!

24. here to go – metamatics – These guys lash out albums at an extraordinary rate but this features on a 7” single from a couple of years ago.

25. victory test match - Lord Beginner
    Last but not least, this is another tune from the featured album ‘London is the place for me’. This one is by an understudy of Lord Kitchener, Lord Beginner and tells the tale of an important test match between England and the West Indies. It’s hard to get across just how good this album is so I’m going to stop trying.

Advertisement