Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up Java on windows?

• 26-01-2004 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

hey all,
    I just downloaded the java SDK off the sun website and have ran the installation file and installed it correctly. the only thing is i cant get anything to run. i have a book that says i must include the location of the java bin folder to the autoexec.bat file. im lost here :confused:
    i am studying java at college at the moment so having an option of doing examples at home is a great advantage to me. hope ye can help me

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Basically Windows wants to know the working directory of your java folder.

MAKE A BACK UP OF THE AUTOEXEC.BAT FILE FIRST

Open up your autoexec by right clicking it and selecting edit, and add the path of the java bin folder after the rest of the folders eg:

Path = "c:\windows\;c:\windows\system\;c:\"

Just put the path in after the c:\.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

i know that much i just cant find the autoexec.bat file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

autoexec.bat is at c:\autoexec.bat
    if you cant see it there it is prob hidden, go to Tools->Folder Options->View->Show hidden files and folders.

ahhhhhh :o

thanks rabies and giblet :)

hmmm just got home from college. found it on my pc running 2000 but tried to find it using search on my laptop running XP but didnt get it.:( any ideas?.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If you're running 2000 or XP do the following:

Control Panel > System > Advanced Tab > Environment Variables

Then in the bottom box, scroll down until you find path, and add it to the list in that box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

is there not a Java control panel since the install. Paths in there.

M

Advertisement