Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP explorer - "Open with..."

Options
  • 26-01-2004 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Whenever I use "Open with..." or try to open a file whose extension isn't handled by any programs (well, no longer since I have notepad opening those now), the box that comes up says "Windows cannot open this file:" and the filename in its DOS format representation with an inverted comma at the end. (rw_d6.zip")

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it? I'm gonna have a look with regedit.

I'll try to stick on a pic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Open a folder, go to Tools, Folder options and View.
    Untick "Hide extensions for known file types"
    Then look at the file again and see if the quote mark is gone.
    if not, just rename it to .zip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

My problem is that there never was a quote mark in the filename - as a directory listing from a dos box shows -
    11/12/2003 16:23 312,208 rw_d6.zip

Windows can deal with the file fine, except when it comes to the open with... dialogue, which sees the file as if it did have a " at the end, and also converts the name to dos fakey format....

Bizarre, no?

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

now that is odd.

What if you go to folder options and then "File Types"

Scroll down and see if a zip" file type is registered there?

Strange one alright.

Nope, there are no registered filetypes with " in them, and I can't find anything that makes sense in the registry.... gak! Besides, it happens to any type of file at all, once I try to use the "open with" option.

Poxy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Try looking at the file in DOS / Command prompt:

"Start - Run - CMD" and then enter
    Browse to the directory "cmd directory"
    run a directory listing "dir /p"
    Your file may have 2 extensions if so rename it "ren originalfilename.ext.ext originalfilename.zip"

HTH.

• Advertisement

Nah, I said in my first post that it was normal in a dos box (and indeed, anywhere else it seems, other than the "open with..." dialogue box).

Can't understand what's wrong with it...

Advertisement