Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes

Options
  • 26-01-2004 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭

This post reminded me there's a few Zappa fans around here.
    I picked up Baby Snakes on DVD the other day and all I can say is go out an get it now!
    The concert footage is amazing, there's alot more on it than the album of the same name. There's also a few Claymation sequences from Bruce Bickford which are just amazing, you really have to see them.
    There's not much in the way of extras but the fact that the movie has been issued again is enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Give me 'Absolutely Free' any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Give me 'Absolutely Free' any day.
    That's probably my favourite Mother's album, I like nearly all of his stuff. Although the early 70's Flo & Eddie stuff gets a bit boring sometimes.

My first memory in life is listening to that album with my mum. She had that and 'We're Only In It For The Money' so The Mothers have always been a favourite over his later stuff. It doesn't get any better than Call Any Vegetable then Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin and finally Soft Sell Conclusion. Pure genius.

Have you heard any of Dweezil and Ahmed's stuff, the 'Z' album?

Originally posted by Doctor J
    Have you heard any of Dweezil and Ahmed's stuff, the 'Z' album?
    No, it's one of those albums I've been meaning to get for years but never get around to buying.
    Is it worth a listen?

Meh, it's ok :dunno:

It promised more than it delivered. There's a few good tunes but it sort of meanders it's way through without ever really getting down to it. If you see it going cheap, go for it, but don't fork out big bucks for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

Wahay! That was my post. Thanks. "Girl you thought he was a man but he was a muffin! heard cries in the middle of the night as a result of him stuffin'!":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Pick up "Does humour belong in music?"on DVD, its basically a Zappa concert and one of the few times ive seen him live.

Joes Garage what an album

Originally posted by Squall
    Pick up "Does humour belong in music?"on DVD, its basically a Zappa concert and one of the few times ive seen him live.
    I have that on video, it's a great show but I think the band on Baby Snakes are a lot better than the 1984 line up. The synths etc. can get annoying too after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

And the V drums. Man I hate those things. But still well worth watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Bongo Fury... now if only there was a dvd of that...

• Advertisement

Shortly after he died, the BBC showed a good documentary of the man and his work which included the Mothers running through King Kong, complete with Motorhead doing the finest saxophone solo you'll ever hear :p

Now that is what I want on DVD.

Advertisement