Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what will/did happen to Ferguson..

• 26-01-2004 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/All_News/Premiership_News/story_98143.shtml

What will happen to him?

Its not a happy time for the Utd manager...i personally thought he looked very uneasy after the game at Northampton talking to Clare whatshername off sky sports.

What will happen to Ferguson? 27 votes

He will sign a one year rolling contract
    0% 0 votes
    He will get the contract he wants
    33% 9 votes
    Nothing will happen to him
    51% 14 votes
    He will be forced to leave the club from Magnier /and/or be sacked.
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This is the funniest thing in years. I sincerely hope Magnier manages to get the United board to sack their most successful manager ever due to an argument over a racehorse.

For comedy value alone it outstrips my previous hope of Real Madrid beating United in the CL final courtesy of a Beckham hat-trick by a long long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    This is the funniest thing in years. I sincerely hope Magnier manages to get the United board to sack their most successful manager ever due to an argument over a racehorse.

For comedy value alone it outstrips my previous hope of Real Madrid beating United in the CL final courtesy of a Beckham hat-trick by a long long way.

LOL!

where did i lay that comedy corset of mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd think that we'd all be better off if we just shoot the damn horse and send it to the glue factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did you see the advertisment banner beside the article?? LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

this is the biggest load of nonsense ever.

1. Ferguson will not be forced to leave as the board, magnier, the fans aren't stupid, they to wont allow the greatest manager of all time leave.

2. Magnier isnt buying shares in manutd to get the man sacked, its a business investment.

3. This is not football, why is it here in this thread? it's the ugly, political/tabloid/business side of football, not the beautiful side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Be comical if he got the sack, and they hired ian dowie as his replacement, and united went to pot.

Originally posted by smemon
    this is the biggest load of nonsense ever.

1. Ferguson will not be forced to leave as the board, magnier, the fans aren't stupid, they to wont allow the greatest manager of all time leave.

2. Magnier isnt buying shares in manutd to get the man sacked, its a business investment.

3. This is not football, why is it here in this thread? it's the ugly, political/tabloid/business side of football, not the beautiful side of it.

For Christ's sake wake up smemon, Magnier & McManus own 25% of the club. Ferguson is sueing Magnier over this racehorse business.

If Magnier isn't stupid why is he demanding an inquiry into transfers conducted under Ferguson's regime IF Ferguson gets more than a one-year rolling contract?? (as seen in the Times today, and the Sunday Times yesterday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

TBH I don't like the way Magnier is already sticking his nose in on dealings. He only owns 25% of the club (Along with JP Mac) If he is like this with 25% what will he be like if he were to take over.

This has a lot to do with that horse. Magnier is afraid that if Fergie brings it all the way to court he will win so he is trying to tarnish Fergies name. He seems to be a very dirty operator.
    Posted by TSJ

Small minds easily amused and all that.

It may be slightly amusing for an outsider but even if this was to happen to Liverpool I don't hink I would fall around in knotts laughing. Plus it's hardly an 'Argument over a racehorse' do you know how much money is involved here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I wouldn' t underestimate those behind the alleged dirty Tricks Campaign at Utd. If the speculation that it is to do with stud rights there is an obscene amount of money at stake.

I was delighted to see that Utd are going to offer fergie his contract this week as This matter should have no bearing with Manchester United FC. It Looks like those in control are backing fergie which is right.

What does surprise me is that someone is willing to risk getting such a serious amount of flack personally if they succeed in shafting Alex as if the do get rid of him it still does not guarantee they will win when it comes to court.

Personally I don't see how it could be in their best interest to sack Fergie as share prices will plummet and only recover if his predecessor is successful. Its certainly not in UTDs best interest if he goes and the Fans Idolise him. I think they are playing a game of Bluff but didn't realise they have taken on the master. Fergie won,t blink that's for sure and If he wins in court his earnings at United will pail into insignificance .

Originally posted by AthAnRi

Small minds easily amused and all that.

I guess so, however perhaps this will wake up some of the Man U fans in la-la 'greatest club in the world' land that their club is now a business and will be run as such, and the manager can be sacked if he pisses off one of the major investors.
    I was delighted to see that Utd are going to offer fergie his contract this week as This matter should have no bearing with Manchester United FC. It Looks like those in control are backing fergie which is right.

Except it's being held up on the basis of the above threat from Magnier if Fergie gets more than a one year rolling deal.
    Personally I don't see how it could be in their best interest to sack Fergie as share prices will plummet and only recover if his predecessor is successful.

I assume you mean succesor there, Ron Atkinson was hardly a big hit was he?
    Its certainly not in UTDs best interest if he goes and the Fans Idolise him.

Oh dear. Do you honestly think Magnier or any of the other major shareholders in United give a fuck what the FANS think?!?! If you do you are sadly deluding yourself. They know that the fans will continue to follow the club no matter how much shit gets shovelled at them.

Cubic have 25% approx that leaves 75% of shareholders who will be more interested in their investment andnot stud rights on someone elses horse.

The Board are fed up with the outside interference and say they are going to offer the most successful British manager of all time the contract he deserves.

If anyone thinks they can a vote of no confidence passed on Him they are kidding themselves. As i said they are trying to pressurise him into caving in but thats unlikely to happen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Cubic have 25% approx that leaves 75% of shareholders who will be more interested in their investment andnot stud rights on someone elses horse.
    Article in the Irish Times today indicates that may not be the case. There are a couple of smallish (5% and the likes) shareholders who would support Magnier and the larger american shareholders (Buccaneers?) who hold about 15% who wouldn't vote at all. That leaves it very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

for fek's sake. this is all a cloud of smoke to prevent Ferguson getting his winnings from the horse.
    the man does a good job at Utd. don't be vengeful fools. it'd be terrible for football to let finances take a stranglehold over another football club (leeds, Fiorentina (remember them?), to name only 2)

and any small shareholder can be bullied in any illegal manner. lookign at Sky news today, they can put at gunpoint with those 'unusable weapons.'

Originally posted by kaids
    Article in the Irish Times today indicates that may not be the case. There are a couple of smallish (5% and the likes) shareholders who would support Magnier and the larger American shareholders (Buccaneers?) who hold about 15% who wouldn't vote at all. That leaves it very close.

I didn't see that article . Did it give any reason as to why the shareholders would not vote on something that could have such serious consequences for their investment?
    It doesn't make sense or sound like good business practise to me TBH.

I think it's down to the personal power than Magnier holds. I've read articles that he is extremely nice in person and holds a lot of influence. I suppose if some of the shareholders supported Ferguson getting a new long contract it would be seen as siding with Ferguson against Magnier, which certain shareholders wouldn't do because of personal interests with Magnier or because of professional ones.

I agree siding with Magnier over Ferguson doesn't make sense financially in terms of Man Utd, but some of the shareholders may have other financial interests to take into account too.

"For a motion at an e.g.m to be successful, the Irish duo would need to get 50 per cent of the polling vote. They own 25.49 per cent but would be expected to be joined any vote by Dermot Desmond, who owns just under three per cent of the club and Harry Dobson, who owns 6.5 percent. City sources expect that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner, Malcom Glazer, who has 14.31 per cent would note vote on any such motion, leaving Cubic Expression very close to a simple majority on any such motion.

Shareholders United, an umbrella group that represents small shareholders in the club, who own approximately 17 per cent of the stock, however issued a statement in support of Ferguson."

If the above is true, then Magnier & co would have 41% of the vote compared to the opposition's 20 before the remaining shareholders come into the equation. From what i've seen they only seem to talking about investigations into Utd's transfer business at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Magnier didn't get as rich as he is without ****ing a few people over. Fergie is the target this time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I would say it is all nonsense and he will sign the contract he wants. No one in their right mind would sack Ferguson from their club considering the service he has and is giving to the club.

• Advertisement

Manchester United is delighted to announce the completion of formal negotiations with its manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has today signed a new contract with the club.

Sir Alex’s current contract with Manchester United would have expired on 30th June 2005 and the new contract he has signed provides that from that date the contract will become an open-ended one-year rolling contract.

Manchester United’s Chief Executive, David Gill, said: “We came up with the idea for a one-year rolling contract when discussions first commenced in Summer 2003, because we believe it reflects our total confidence in the manager and also reduces speculation about his possible retirement date.

Sir Alex considers this arrangement to offer distinct advantages over a long and fixed-term contract in that he feels it will keep him even more motivated every season and hungry for more success over the future years.

His fantastic record with Manchester United speaks for itself and his appetite for the game and his desire to build a new generation of world-class players at Old Trafford is undiminished. He has the Board’s 100% support.”

Sir Alex said: “I’m very happy with the new contractual arrangements. It gives me strong focus on the short-term challenges in the new season ahead as well as the long-term freedom to look to improve our current squad and to win trophies both domestically and in Europe. I believe we have a very strong squad with a nucleus of young and talented players as well as excellent prospects in our own Academy and that will give us an excellent foundation for success over future years.

The Board and, in particular, Chief Executive David Gill have demonstrated their confidence in me and support for my decision making at every level. I am enjoying the job more than ever before and I hope I can reward that confidence on the pitch.”

Manchester United’s Chairman, Sir Roy Gardner, said: “Sir Alex Ferguson is already established as one the greatest football managers of all time. We are very lucky to have had his services for the last 17 years during which time he has been personally responsible for delivering unprecedented and unrivalled success to this club. We have every faith in him to carry on doing a great job for Manchester United. I have never worked with a man with so much energy and conviction and who commands so much respect from both footballers and from those who help run football across the world. I am personally delighted and proud that he has committed himself to our club for the future.”

Manchester United PLC
    28 January, 2004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

well he only got the one year rolling contract which he says works to his advantage. I wonder...:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

a 1 rolling contract is in United's favour and I believe that this should be the future of football. two year rolling contracts in the case of players.

eg. If Leeds had a one year rolling contract on any of their managers, then it wouldn't cost them as much severance money.

eg. If a player gets a two year rolling contract, the player can open contract neg after 1 year and speak to other clubs after 1.5 years then everyones interest is served. Saves (again) Leeds ass on Fowlers and Keane's contracts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by xlex
    a 1 rolling contract is in United's favour and I believe that this should be the future of football. two year rolling contracts in the case of players.

eg. If Leeds had a one year rolling contract on any of their managers, then it wouldn't cost them as much severance money.

eg. If a player gets a two year rolling contract, the player can open contract neg after 1 year and speak to other clubs after 1.5 years then everyones interest is served. Saves (again) Leeds ass on Fowlers and Keane's contracts.
    It makes you wonder why they never did it in the first case if the club is 100% in control of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

I don't believe in this backpay nonsence either.... If anything this problem between Magnier and Ferguson has forced the Man Utd in particular to sort it out and Ferguson to accept a fair contract... Being the richest club in the world shouldn't lessen their responcibilities to act in a proper manner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Originally posted by xlex
    I don't believe in this backpay nonsence either.... If anything this problem between Magnier and Ferguson has forced the Man Utd in particular to sort it out and Ferguson to accept a fair contract... Being the richest club in the world shouldn't lessen their responcibilities to act in a proper manner...

Looks like Magnier and Co got there way after all eh !
    Damn Them !

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

No they didnt tinky. They wanted his 12 month rolling contract to start immediately. It doesnt start until his current contract ends in 2005.

And lads, you can stop voting now...its been decided. 5 votes have been added today all to his rolling contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

If Magnier has nothing to fear from the court case why is he trying to smear Fergie.
    Very few Managers have lost their jobs based on out of football issues. AS long as Man United keep winning he will have the Job as long as he likes

Graham did not lose his job because of the scandle he lost it because Arsnal were going downhill

Hoddle did not lose his job over his comments about reincarnation and the disabled. He made those before in a Radio interview but he had just qualified for the Euro Champs . He makes the same comments after when he had done poorly and a poor start to qualifing and he is shown the door.

Mangers live and die by results and very little else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Ronaldo7

And lads, you can stop voting now...its been decided. 5 votes have been added today all to his rolling contract...

I don't think that people can still vote, in fact I am sure that they cannot as I closed the poll hours ago.

And as to what M & M wanted, they did get what they were looking for, there was no way ferguson could have had his current contract rescinded and he has a rolling contract from next year. Which he says suits him, but for some reason, I don't believe him.

Also
    Very few Managers have lost their jobs based on out of football issues.

I can think of quite a few who have lost their jobs over outside of football issues...

Let's not forget Tommy Docherty, sacked because the United board disapproved of him having an affair with the physio's wife...

By Wayne Veysey, Evening Standard
    29 January 2004

Irish tycoons John Magnier and JP McManus are reportedly furious that Sir Alex Ferguson's new 12-month rolling contract at Manchester United does not begin for another 18 months.

Sir Alex effectively has a two-and-a-half-year notice period - something the Irish pair were keen to avoid - as the new contract begins in 2005. The Coolmore Stud bosses, who own 25 per cent of the club through their Cubic Expression company, have declined to comment on Ferguson's new contract, which is thought to be worth up to £5million a year.

But people close to them said they were "considering the announcement" and would "be making their views known directly to the board".

Relations between the United board and the Irishmen are at a low because Magnier and McManus have yet to receive a response to a letter sent last week in which they raised 63 concerns on matters relating to corporate governance at the club.

It is understood that the board has reiterated its offer of a meeting with the pair to allow them to air their grievances. Previous attempts to arrange a meeting have failed.

Magnier and Ferguson are in dispute over the £100m stud rights to the racehorse Rock Of Gibraltar.

More on fergies new contract. Delighted to see the bortd sticking up for Fergie and according to the above article Fergie will be with united for at least 2 and half years yet which is great news for United fans IMO. Maybe the 2 will get the message and invest in something else.

Advertisement