Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

options for all in one PDA inc GPRS funtionality

Options
  • 26-01-2004 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

HI

Anyone know of options for all in one PDA inc GPRS funtionality

was looking at blackberry, Palm's Tungsten W

Anyone have any other ideas? Need it to be "simple" so no brain managers can use.. and as robust as possible

Have already tried pairing a Dell Axim with 6310 phone but proved a bit messy.

We would be more inclined to go with a Vodafone solution as we dont have an account with 02 therefore the blackberry is kinda out

Email is my prime use everyting else is secondary

Tks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

For email the Blackberry would be the most dedicated, and some flavour of XDA *might* be the best all in one device.

But if you're tied to voda, then have you looked at something like the Handspring Treo? My knowledge is a bit thin on Palm devices but I'd be surprised if they didn't have something that would do POP3 mail. Actually, the P800/P900 would do this too.

Failing that would a PDA/phone over bluetooth combo be out of the quesion? It's a little more involved but you'd be able to use windows based thingys withould having to get used to something new like a Palm.

Some of the newer Nokias have been playing about with a RIM client (turn it into a Blackberry). Not sure if you can get it for other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

for email - simple would be the Blackberry - (you know porting is possible)

but sticking with Voda, their only converged / 'smartphone' device is the old Nokia 9210i... one would hope they might be introducing some up to date professional mobile data devices at some stage... Voda UK has both the P900 and a CE .NET reference design devices (by BSquare)

but if you have to go on your own then you get into the more feature packed (and complex) converged PDA/Phone devices, with the current offerings being:

Pocket PC based:
    the O2 XDA II is the leader at the moment (also available unbranded / O2 locked as the i-Mate) for the Windows Mobile 2003 Pocket PC Phone Edition - There are also the Eten P300 and P700 (however have seen mixed reports on the Eten devices)

Palm OS Based:
    Handspring Treo 600 or PalmOne Tungsten W

Symbian Based:
    Sony Ericsson P900

Been using the i-Mate version of the XDA II for a few weeks and it's a nice package. I prefer the the Pocket PC for handling email when I need to do a lot of replies while out and about though, (plus the option of a clip on thumb board / full size wireless keyboard is great).

Been using the P800 for a while and found it a reliable device particularly since the last Software update (haven't done the upgrade to the P900 as yet). The P800 and even a Nokia Series 60 device (with Cibenix's Active Mail) works great for me when email is mainly being receive with few replies.

Haven't used the Treo 600 for more than a few minutes but it was a nice device - screen was a bit low rez though - can't comment on reliability - and it's a bit pricey SIM free at the mo...

If you aren't in a rush, the rumours are HP will offer a new iPAQ with integrated GSM/GPRS and that the Treo may get an upgrade... RIM have also been signing agreements with the likes of PalmSource and Symbian to implement Blackberry tech on those platform's future devices - although no implementations as yet...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

BrianG,

Don't know if this is the real deal, but has details on the new ipaq.

http://www.smartfone.net/?m=show&id=262

jkb_dub

hi

that article (and particularly the picture) has been causing a lot of debate!

looks like someone messing about in Photoshop though (although could be based on a description and someone trying to recreate from that?)

TI released a reference design last year called WANADA - so looks like they are basing their main specs around it...

think i'll wait to see if the FCC website will reveal the details ;)

BrianG

some more photos have appeared that look like the more usual promotional / marketing material from HP:

http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/preview_hp_ipaq_6000.asp

if this is it - looks like the Smartphone.net image wasn't too far out after all (except for the way the keyboard looks smugged on)!

looks a bit chunky compared to the XDA II, but sure looks to be packed full of wireless features from the spec they give... Quad Band GSM/GPRS, 802.11b, Bluetooth, IrDA

BrianG

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DubWireless
    RIM have also been signing agreements with the likes of PalmSource and Symbian to implement Blackberry tech on those platform's future devices

Sony Ericsson and RIM today announced that they will introduce BlackBerry connectivity on Sony Ericsson mobile phones, starting with the P900. Not solid time frame as yet, mentioning only "later this year"... more details...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Sony Ericsson and RIM today announced that they will introduce BlackBerry connectivity on Sony Ericsson mobile phones, starting with the P900. Not solid time frame as yet, mentioning only "later this year"... more details...

BrianG

A little bit confused here, The P900 is already on the market in the UK and about to be launched here by Vodafone next month,sim free is already available here,so whats the deal? will it be a software upgrade?

yes, according to their release: "BlackBerry connectivity support on the P900 is expected later this year", it also mentioned they plan to include it with their future smartphones (you can check the link for full text of the release)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Why not just get an XDA II or an iMate device?

All in one, excellent screens, bluetooth, camera, lots of memory - much more than any Palm or Blackberry device.

I've been using one for about a month now and it's fantastic. Also, check out the very latest news on the new motorola Mpx, http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/3gsm_2004_2.asp (Italian) discussed also http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=219007&sid=eeec4df356b60dd79d61fa7e3b52e4d8

Cheers

have done (re: 3rd post in the thread) but the P900 offers a more phone centric device where as the Pocket PC Phone edition is still a PDA first Phone second... so won't suit everyone's needs or tastes

not sure the keyboard design of the MPx would work for me (but will have to try it out first hand before), (technically) impressive hinge design though hope it lives up to the daily wear and tear

DSCN2271.jpg
    image from PPCW.net 3GSM live mobile photo blog

also the new 9500 Communicator could be big competition for the MPx (at least here in Europe)...

i was more impressed with the MPx 100 Smartphone, might even sway me back to getting a Motorola handset... depending on what other MS Smarpthones (if any) are announced at CeBIT...

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Handspring treo 600 ---- anyone any comments??

Palm OS Based:
    Handspring Treo 600 or PalmOne Tungsten W

Haven't used the Treo 600 for more than a few minutes but it was a nice device - screen was a bit low rez though - can't comment on reliability - and it's a bit pricey SIM free at the mo...

not much more than that - except with the recent PalmSource developers conference defining their strategy on the Garnet OS (previously Palm OS 5) being focused on the Smartphone platform there should more choice / variety (and hopefully enhancements) in the not too distant future

BrianG

RIM have also been signing agreements with the likes of PalmSource and Symbian to implement Blackberry tech on those platform's future devices

and further news that Blackberry connectivity will be provided on the XDA II from O2:

O2 to Offer Xda II With BlackBerry Connectivity

BrianG

Advertisement