Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VBScript and Linux?

Options
  • 26-01-2004 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know anything about the options in running an ASP application on a Linux server, or whether this is possible at all ?

I have looked over the web, and found some talk of Chilisoft ASP which can be installed on Linux servers tointerpret ASP/VBScript. Going to the website www.chilisoft.com, now brings one to "Sun Java System Active Server Pages 4.0".

Has anyone had experience with such a task, ie. running an existing ASP application on a Linux server ?

The application I have is still being written for a project, and my tutor has just told me he wants it to run on a Linux server, it consists of VBScript code with no database connections, pure script. I could rewrite the whole thing in PHP, but since I have no experience with PHP would like to stick with ASP.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Slán,
    jAH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Sun ONE ASP (formerly chilliasp) is quite good. If you had it installed, I would imagine it would serve your purposes quite well.

There is an addon for Apache with mod_perl called Apache::ASP. http://www.apache-asp.org/ for more.

I have no experience with it. But for a project I doubt stability and performance are your main concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sun One is quite pricy unless you have free use of a RAQ...
    Most windows developers seem to steer clear of any ported versions of ASP on linux, so maybe you should consider another solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

thanks for the tips,

anyone have experience with Apache::ASP ? SunOne would most likely be suitable but since there is a substantial cost involved am not sure whether the university would put up the funds to purchase it.

blacknight, i think the only other solution would be to start from scratch and rewrite the application in PHP, but i have absolutely nada experience with PHP so this might be too much to do in my timeframe (2 months).

i would be interested to hear if anyone has used Apache::ASP for runnign asp on a linux box...

all the best,
    jAH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Whats the application, you mentioned no database connectivity, surely it can`t be that hard to port it over to php.

the application is purely mathematical, user feeds in their location on earth (longitude and latitude), time and date, and position of a star.

the application will then return information such as altitude of the star (where it is in the sky), the phase of the moon (eg 63% sunlit), the times of sunrise and sunset, and various other bits and bobs.

you could be right in saying that it can't be too hard to port it over to PHP, maybe it's just fear of the unknown for me as i've yet to write anything in PHP.

a very basic version of what i've written so far can be seen at: http://www.thegalwaysky.com/skycalc/index.asp please note the final version will look much flashier and provide a lot more info...

• Advertisement

The maths side will be more or less the same, and you`d be using a form i guess, so might not actually contain as much PHP hard coding as you thought, that said your Link doesnt work.

Originally posted by bazH
    that said your Link doesnt work.
    tis working fine for me....

ahh tis working now for me too :)

Basically you`re inputting the details and sending them to your asp page, and returning the calculations. Hardly that much different in PHP

Think how much better it will sound when you tell your tutor you ported the code to PHP, maybe run both sets of code nativley, and comment on any differences. Would make a nice writeup for college/school

ah yer starting to convince me now bazH! maybe i will tackle PHP, the only other concern i have then is that i need to generate a dynamic graph based on user input (position of a star over time) and had intended on using Office Web Components on installed a win2000 server.

i guess there must be something which can be done in php for dynamic graph generation tho ?

Advertisement