Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wierd emails!!

Options
  • 26-01-2004 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

I've been receiving some wierd emails from various people in Holland wanting to buy something I've advertised in the buy & sell and Freeads.ie.

Anybody know if this is some kind of SCAM??

They are very similar and are as follows:

good day , thanks for the mail back to me . pls i want to tell u that i am intrested in buying the***** from u. i will be paying through an ireland bankers draft.

concerning buying your ******* , my customer has agreed with the price of purchasing it for that amount right now.

My client in the theireland is oweing me 6000 euro ,which i will instruct him to issue you the check on my behalf,he would need yourfull name,contact address and phone numberso that he can forward this check to you,you would then cash the money from the check and collect howmuch we bought the ******* and the remaining balance would be sent to my shipping agent via western union money transfer in order to start arranging shippment of the ******** down to its destination.

if these would be okay by you,kindly get back to me.

The other Reads:

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the mail back to me i have accepted your offer for the *********.I am also satisfied with the condition of the ************ and will purchase the ******** .I would also like to the the pictures if possible.I would have loved to pay in cash but my close associate in the ireland oweing me some 5600euros which i personally will instruct to issue you the bank draft of 5600euros.Immediately you have recieved the payment it should be cashed at any cashing point near by and the amount i am purchasing the ********* you will deduct and the balance of the funds should be wired to my shipping agent via western union wire transfer as he will be handling the shipping so he will need the funds to make shipping arrangements and arrive your location to pick up the **********.I will have to trust you to send the shipper his funds to enable him arrive your location to pick up the ***********.I will be
    needing a name an address and a phone number the bank draft will bear so that payment can be made as soon as possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Mate of mine has been getting the very same emails in response to his ads in buy and sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

They are forged bank drafts, more than likely...He'll try and get you to take the bank draft, ask for cash as change and then disappear
    Beware..
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I got a couple of strange ones from a guy in Holland for a room in a house share I advertised.

GOOD DAY,
    I AM OLIVER MARTINEZ, FROM HOLLAND,I AM WRITING TO YOU IN RESPONDS OF YOUR ADS I SAW ON THE INTERNET ,CONCERNING YOUR PROPERTY,I WOULD LIKE TO BOOK A RESERVATION FOR A WEEK OR TWO WEEKS IN YOUR HOUSE.I AND MY BUSINESS ASSOCIATES WILL BE COMING IN FOR A BUSINESS PURPOSE AND THAT IS THE REASON WHY WE WANT TO BOOK RESEVATION IN YOUR HOUSE.
    MY MODE OF PAYMENT WOULD BE MADE THROUGH A BANKERS DRAFT FROM MY CLIENT .
    PLS KINDLY RESPOND CONCERNING YOUR HOUSE FOR RENT.
    THANKS
    OLIVER.

I emailed him back saying he obviously didnt understand understand that it was a long term letting and not just for a couple of weeks. He replied with more or less the exact same as above. Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing the Dutch weirdness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

I thought as much.. Rymus, thats the same name that I got: OLIVER MARTINEZ another name to watch is BRIAN SMITH...:mad:

hmm.. highly suspicious stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

This was reported in the news last week I think. Or somewhere. Basically, they give you a fake bank draft for say 6 grand, and it looks real enough. You go to the bank and lodge it, but before the bank go and check out the draft code, you go and transfer them the "change". So your fake check you think OK, I will send him the 1000 euro computer and get 5 grand in cash wired to him. Then you find out the draft is fake.

wouldnt any sensible person wait until the draft clears & lodges before sending any change???

Maybe that's just my radical right-wing thought process though...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

got two of these emails on different occasions from two different email addresses in holland. never heard back from him once i told him i'd be waiting for all funds to clear before i let any goods go.

Originally posted by kikel
    got two of these emails on different occasions from two different email addresses in holland. never heard back from him once i told him i'd be waiting for all funds to clear before i let any goods go.

That's wot I said.. As long as the money is in my account and the AIB say all is howkley dowkley then he can have the goods...

I'd normally just sell me ****e on boards but everyone is so tight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by aclane
    That's wot I said.. As long as the money is in my account and the AIB say all is howkley dowkley then he can have the goods...

I'd normally just sell me ****e on boards but everyone is so tight:D

Be careful-if they find the draft is forged later you will find yourself seriously in debt with the bank..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by rymus
    wouldnt any sensible person wait until the draft clears & lodges before sending any change???

Yes, but these guys are working the percentages - probably sending thousands of mails, and catching a few "insensible" people here and there.

Received a cheque for €5,600 this morning via UPS. Looks genuine enough. It's from Ulster Bank, College Green, Dublin.. 10 minutes after I got it, this guy rings asking if I had received it and could I immediately wire the remains over to Nigeria!!

I rang Ulster Bank but they could tell me that the sort code was correct and the best thing to do is to wait and see if it clears!

I'll wait to see if it clears first
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Q3000

aclane the safest way of dealing with this is phone the bank the draft was drawn on and check out the details but I can nearly guarantee you that it is a fake this is the latest scam since the 419 scams are drying up.

Don't send any money until you have cleared it with the Ulster Bank in College Green don’t trust your on bank on this one or you could end up €5600 out of pocket and what ever you sold as well.

Do a google for Irish bank draft scam and you will see what I am talking about

I've read all about already. I'm sure it's a fake and will wait for my bank to confirm it. When they do, I'll email Brian Smith back with a lovely attachment..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Be careful, My bank, told me funds had cleared.

They then came back 6 months laterr and debited my account,
    because the cheque had bounced!

Purely because they had lost the cheque in transit for 6 months.

And I'm a good customer!

Believe nothing from the bank unless in writing!

A dodgy draft you did not ask for?

Would you send it to somebody like that if it was
    worth something?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

This is a Nigerian crime gang scam which was recently reported in The Indo - have a look at this link ...

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2333224?view=Eircomnet

I remember hearing a case on the radio where a computer company accepted a large bank draft for alot of equipment and the bank cleared the draft as it was genuine. The poor guy shipped off the expensive equipment and the bank came back a week later saying the draft was forged.
    It turned out the draft was genuine. Ie the serial numer was correct ,so the bank intitially approved it, but it was originally made for a much lower amount. The fraudsters removed the original amount and replaced it with a higher amount.
    The problem is this was only caught when the draft was checked against the original. So there was a few days lead time between the companies bank approving it and the original bank declaring it forged.

Freeads.ie have sent a warning to all registered users.

See here

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by rymus

Maybe that's just my radical right-wing thought process though...

Agreed, you'd have to be abit of a retard not to wait
    kinda your own fault if you give some random person aload of money without knowing more about them etc
    especially when the e-mail has bad english and is written in caps
    seems to be a ongoing theme with scams alot of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Problem with drafts as they have always been considered the next best thing to cash. If you had a dodgy customer you would ask for a draft instead of a cheque. These scammers are obviuously leveraging on the sense of security created by offering a draft as a method of payment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement