Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about broadband

• 26-01-2004 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Okay, apologies if this sounds like a retarded query. I've just moved into a new apartment. One of the bedrooms has two eircom broadband boxes on the wall (beside a regular telephone box). However, I want to sign up to the EsatBT talk and surf thingy. Can I use the existing eircom boxes, or does Esat need to install a new setup with their own boxes?

Also, if broadband is available through Eircom, does that mean it's automatically available through Esat? The reason I ask is because I've just got the phone line set up last friday, and the (new) phone number that I've entered on the EsatBT website returns a message stating that broadband is not available in my area (yet I live very near Dublin city centre). Of course it could be just that my phone number is too new to appear on the EsatBT system?

Thanks, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Firstly, if Eircom can give you ADSL, then anyone else can.

Secondly, ring EsatBT and ask them to install broadband for you. If you don;t want eircom, then don;'t go with eircom. The only reason that box is there is so that people will say, oh look, eircom broadband is already installed, lets order it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

EsatBT does not go everywhere Eircom does. IOLBB will, however.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dam0cles

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    ....The reason I ask is because I've just got the phone line set up last friday, and the (new) phone number that I've entered on the EsatBT website returns a message stating that broadband is not available in my area (yet I live very near Dublin city centre). Of course it could be just that my phone number is too new to appear on the EsatBT system......

I'm in the same boat, just got the phone connected to a new place i'm renting in the past few days and it's failing the test with both, even though the neighbours line is passing. Am I correcting in presuming that this is only because the number has not yet gone into whatever database the form on the eircon/esat website checks your number against??

i've told the landlord he can keep the place if the line fails, so it's probably best if i find out sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Originally posted by keno-daytrader
    EsatBT does not go everywhere Eircom does. IOLBB will, however.
    Eh, surely IOL BB and Esat BT broadband are more or less the same: http://www.iol.ie/bundles/
    :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah, I was under the impression that IOL is just the internet side of EsatBT..... given that Im on Esat with their IOLfree package at the moment... (stupid no BB, you will be mine... very soon)

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

are you doing a line test, or seeing if you're number is listed as being in an area where you can get BB?

afaik (and correct me if i'm wrong) but if you ring one of the BB providers they will do a pre-qualification line test on your number to see if it passes. why don't you just do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

EsatBT has its own equipment in its enabled exchanges. IOL BB is just a reselller of the Eircom package.

For example, I have a place in Salthill that is on the Shantalla exchnage, I can get Eircom/IOLbb/Netsource but cant get ESATBT because they dont have any equipment in the DSLAM.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement