Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there were a pill you could take

Options
  • 26-01-2004 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

that would "stop" you being gay, and make you straight....would you take it?
    Note...I am not a troll, just genuinely interested in whether gay people would actually prefer not to be gay etc. etc.....feel free to lock this topic if you dont agree with it..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Work away.

There was another thread here about something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If there was another pill to turn me back then yes I would. I'd love to be able to feel a strong attraction to a girl and see what its like. I'm a curious person.

I don't want to not be gay though. I've never been happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

'Twould make life a lot easier for sure, but still no. It wouldn't be me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nah. It'd be denying part of who I am, brainwashing an integral part of me. Sure, I'd still build cars, scale mountains, and break beer cans with my bare teeth as I am wont to do currently, but I feel a certain part of me would've changed. Denial should only be a river in Egypt as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

There are days when I'd happily swallow a boat-load of
    them, and other days I wouldn't dream of it.

While it might things easier for people personally, I think that it would be a bad thing for society in general, as it would encourage homogeneity and decrease acceptance and appreciation of diversity (which in my book is a hell of a lot better than tolerance).

Tendofan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

Turing, one of the greatest mathematicians of our time, was given a course of "straight pills" since being gay was illegal in the 40's, this resulted in severe depression and his eventual suicide by poisened apple.

While it might sound like a nice idea sometimes, it's better to accept who you are. As Wilde said "to love onesself is the beginning of a lifelong relationship" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tendofan

I seem to recall that he was given a course of oestroegen pills, since it was believed at the time that an excess of testosterone led to homosexuality. (Irony occasionally rocks.)

His depression wasn't aided by his ostracization by the very establishment his work in Bletchley Park in WWII helped to save. :-(

Tendofan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭dictatorcat

yea, that was what happened. Apparently the side effects were....well...interesting to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Deffo not...
    Agree with ixoy here.

Being gay ain't a disease ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Turings state of mind probably wasn't helped by the fact that he was imprisoned after the war for being homosexual.

Wilde was also imprisoned for his sexuality (in the 1890s). Compare his book De Profundis, written in prison, with his other writing.

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No,

I've never been happier

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

It would depend on how long the effect of such a pill would last. I think it would be very interesting to see how it would feel to have a strong attraction to a woman - just like yellum, for a period of time but I would be very reluctant to take one if the effect was permanent. It would just seem to deny part of who I am, and at this stage of my life I'm pretty comfortable with that and don't really want to go around redefining myself.

An even more interesting question however might be: how would straight people like the idea of taking a "gay" pill? Would it be something they would try, even for an evening? Is it something they should try, in order to make them more understanding and tolerant of gay culture? Or would they be denying an integral part of themselves?

Answers on the back of a postcard to the usual address.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can see a romanctic tragedy forming right now. Guy meets girl, guy falls in love with girl, guy realises he has only minutes of precious time left with her before straight pill wears off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

The notion of one existing is one of the most digusting things I could ever think of. Why someone would want to stop being themselves and live a lie is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Happy Dragging Up Old Threads Week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

If I was straight.

I'd still be a very very angry person.
    I'd still believe love was a myth.
    I'd probably have been crushed under the pressures of life.
    I'd be very lonely and sad.

So feic that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

As a straight person I'd like a pill to see what life is like being gay, one of my mates who's gay always tells me that I should see life through his eyes, so I'd like to be able to, but tbh that's not me, so I'd like it to wear off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

It took me nearly 23years just to come to terms with my sexuality I wouldn't fancy the thought of trying to be straight :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

Not a hope in hell :) First thing that pops to mind is an echo of azezil's sentiments - spending all that time coming to terms with my sexuality as it stands was hard enough, to have to do it again in reverse, even for say 24 hours - NOOOO thank you missus. Also think ixoy's totally right . . . while I don't let my sexuality define my totality (well, anymore ;)) at this stage it's a very core part of who and what I am and I wouldn't trade it in for all the mugs in a packet of goats.

Um, tea in China. Yes, that's what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I think it would be a great idea, it would,. even if only short term, as it might show them that being gay is only a current fad

• Advertisement

How is it a "current fad" when it was actively promoted in the ancient Greek armies in order to prevent soldiers developing attachments to women (who would stay home in times of war)? It's neither "current" nor a "fad." Seriously, you're entitled to your opinion, but state facts only if they actually ARE facts. If you don't like it, go ahead and dislike it, but as Eddie Izzard once said, "be homophobic behind closed doors, where you can't hurt anyone!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

padser wrote:
    I think it would be a great idea, it would,. even if only short term, as it might show them that being gay is only a current fad

Would you consider taking "the gay pill". It might validate your opinions!

I second that motion! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I always used to think I would take that pill given the chance but that was back when I was firmly in the closet. Now that I have come out to some of my best friends and my brother over the last year or so I definitely wouldn't take it.
    I wouldn't like to change who I am and undo the last year of my life, especially since coming to terms with being gay has taught me a lot about myself and changed my attitudes to a lot of things for the better.
    I've also had incredibly positive reactions from everyone I've come out to so far and I'm quite happy at the moment so why ruin a good thing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

yep wouldn't think twice about taking it........I'm from sligo, that should explain it all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Would make my life a wee bit easier, but I'm happy to be Bi, I may not always feel comfortable about it, but its who I am, why change that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

If I'd be asked back in my teens, I think I'd have jumped at the chance, but not anymore, it just doesn't seem that important anymore to be 'normal' like (almost) everyone else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

I definitely wouldn't be interested in a straight pill,
    a "bi" pill would be interesting,
    but then again its relaxing having a whole gender of people I'm not attracted to, and can relate to without that complicating things.

Advertisement