Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beach

Options
  • 26-01-2004 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Has anyone read 'The Beach' by Alex Garland?

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Ragamuffin, I'm not entirely sure but I'd say you'd get more success by posting threads like this in the Literature Forum?

(Will let it go for now, it might influence some people :))

Never read it myself, nor have I seen the film - Apparantly the book itself was a little screwed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

Never read it myself, nor have I seen the film - Apparantly the book itself was a little screwed up?

Yes, near the end it got messed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

the book is different and better than the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭jerenaugrim

In the film, Leo sleeps with two different birds..in the book, nada. The relationship with the French chick simply doesn't happen. Film and book are equally good, IMO- both dark in diff. ways. Like, the going mad in the jungle = computer game in the film- excellent take on what happens in the book. Good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I've never read that book. But, for some reason, I have an irrational hatred of that movie. It's just terrible!

Just thought I'd let you know.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

The book is pretty good actually, the film is crap imo, too much emphasis on leo the pretty boy scoring all over the place,
    In the book he's an english guy, and a lot easier to relate to as a character.

Check out The Tesseract, also by Alex Garland, its a good read, bit messed up in places though.

LoLth: see my comment on the post below.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

excellent read... much much better than the film, the end is really messed up though.

LoLth: these forums are available to all age groups. Please try to keep your language in check. Is it really worth the bother of inserting unused tags just to use a swear word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

excellent read... much much better than the film, the end is really ****ed though.

WARNING:If you are thinking of reading the book do not read this spoiler.
    I really thought when he got stabbed so many times he was going to die. it's really f**ked when everyone jumps in and starts to knife the corpses of Zeph, Sammy and the two germans

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Ragamuffin

Sorry again. That was supposed to be me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

fantastic book , liked the film too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah I really liked the book, even though I'd seen the film first... there's enough difference between the two to enjoy each individually.
    I don't think the bit (in the book) where they all got food poisoning and were scuttering and puking all over the place would have worked in the movie somehow - also - I found the book also gave a greater insight into Richards relationship with Daffy, as the movie doesn't really explain much in that respect

BTW, has anyone read the original Fight Club book? Is it much different to the film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I read Fight Club. the movie is probably the most faithful adaptation of a book I'm aware of and I prefer the movie.
    Chuck Pahlanuik (sp?) is the author and all his books are excellent.

I'm selling lots of good books including the beach and some irvine welsh and iain banks books on the for sale thread btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139942

...don't ban me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

no problem. Just as long as you dont spam or double post lists.

If people want to see what you are selling they will click on link.

Advertisement