Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 5 places to visit in Ireland

• 26-01-2004 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

i've been far and wide globally but I've never really explored this fantastic country,

Can anyone tell me their favourite holiday destinations in Ireland ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm the same, but last year I went to the Aran Islands (really cool place for scenery and peace and quiet) and Killarney (don't know about the actual town, but the area surrounding it - the Ring of Kerry - is pretty stunning!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Cliffs of Mohar, Giants Causway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

The Sky road (off Clifden), Malin head and Inishowen.

Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Sliabh League Cliffs, Co. Donegal, highest sea cliffs in Europe, spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

i found waterford a lovely town - if you are comming to Ireland hire a car!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Cork is lovely, I go there a lot.
    It has an airport and you can fly direct to there.
    There are plenty of places to eat and drink but
    check out the oval pub too when you are there, it's the biz :)
    There are many nice towns in the county when you are done visiting the city itself.
    Indeed I reckon you could spend your whole holiday in cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Achill island is possibly the most beautiful place in ireland. i visited it about 2 years ago and fell in love with it the moment i crossed the bridge. it has beautiful rugged landscape the mountains come right down to the beach, long uninterrupted walks in the countryside and peace and tranquility!

if i could go to any place in ireland at the min i would pick achill!

Originally posted by sound_wave
    Achill island is possibly the most beautiful place in ireland. i visited it about 2 years ago and fell in love with it the moment i crossed the bridge. it has beautiful rugged landscape the mountains come right down to the beach, long uninterrupted walks in the countryside and peace and tranquility!

if i could go to any place in ireland at the min i would pick achill!

Where is this place?

Thanks
    Raphael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

It's off mayo, there's a bridge to drive over.

http://www.achilltourism.com/mayomap.html

Thanks for the thread btw, I've got a friend coming over for a week soon and I was in need of a few ideas for an excursion or two.

edit: I think sound_wave and i must have hit the submit button within milliseconds of eachother there!!

hey raphaelS :)

Achill is an island off the west cost of ireland. its off county mayo!
    click this link for a map
    map

you thinking of going?

• Advertisement

beat me to it rob :)

Thanks you both! :D

I'd never suspect that this small bit was an island... the photos look great on the web site so I sure will go there some day!

Raphael

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In and around Dingle in Co. Kerry (far southwest of the country) is probably my favourite spot in Ireland. Kenmare is a lovely town in the same part of the country and is also well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Glendalough Lakes and Monastic Settlement in Wicklow.

G'wan Wickla!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I love Westport and the surrounding area
    if you do go down there Yellum, have dinner in the Quay Cottage (just in front of the entrance to Westport House) fantastic seafood - book early though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

The bit of Clare from Lahinch to Ballyvaughan and on to the Burren and the Aran islands has a bit of everything , great scenery, cliffs, beaches, fishing , food, drink , surfing, walks, caves, castles, legends, and golf. My favourite part of Ireland.

Dingle / the Ring of Kerry is also a lovely part of ireland and worth seeing.

West Cork, from Clonakilty to Schull has some amazing beaches, plenty of opportunities to explore off the beaten track , lots of pubs with great Murphys.

The Donegal coast is amazing, the only problem being understanding the natives and some very dodgy weather (even by Irish standards).

I can't think of a fifth that I would really rate :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Cavan Leitrim area is a great place if you're looking for some peace, quiet and tranquility. I've spent many a Summer as when I was younger cycling around the area in Summer, friendly people, nice scenery but don't expect much in the way of exotic resteraunts or net café's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I second the ring of Kerry too, the Killarney Lakes and Tralee are well worth seeing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by raphaelS
    Malin head and Inishowen

I second that, though being Inishowen born and bred, I've a bit of a bias :)

Advertisement