Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choices limited due to pass maths?

Options
  • 26-01-2004 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

I really want to do electronic engineering degree course but I see that all the University's are looking for a C3 honours level maths. Does anybody know of my options? I have looked and looked on the CAO website but to no avail. I need reply ASAP. thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you are thinking of doing an engineering degree in any of the main universities (or anywhere for that matter) a very good standard of maths is essential. Someone with a c3 honours would really struggle with electronic engineering, its a very very hard/demanding course with a lot of emphasis on maths/physics. Hell my cousin did it in UCD and he said it was hard (a1 maths, 590 points).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Have you investigated the cert-diploma-degree route in the Institutes of Technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

IT tallaght do ordinary Maths Engineering degrees. basically tis a year longer because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I have but i would really prefer to find a straigh degree not needing honours maths but an A1 in ordinary. I know NUI Galway allow you to take one of their on tests instead of having honours maths. I thought University Of Limerick changed their requirements to just need ordinary B3 or something like that. But on their web site they state that a HC3 is needed. Does anybody know for sure the acceptance? I have sent them an email asking them what the story is with that but i have not got a reply yet. anyway thanx for your help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

All engineering degrees need a C3 in honours maths (except electronic/electrical in UCD which needs a B3). Its set down by the higher powers because basically anyone without that level of maths is going to struggle.
    So certs. and diplomas are your best bet.

• Advertisement

Look, Ill make it simple for you.

If you need to be doing pass these are not the courses for you.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but you will struggle badly and probably drop out or fail.

Would you do an arts degree if you were crap at it and didnt have a portfolio?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Adrian
    I have but i would really prefer to find a straigh degree not needing honours maths but an A1 in ordinary....... anyway thanx for your help lads.
    I think if you can get an A1 in ordinary, then a C3 in honours should be no bother to you.

If you're serious about a straight engineering degree, switch to honours maths and get grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I would say that if you really don't 'have' maths (like me tbh) then think long and hard about an engineering course.
    I worked my ass off in maths which I was never really good at but I REALLY wanted to do a particular engineering course which including subjects like maths, physics, hydrodynamics, thermodynamics to name but a few.

Even though I did well in hons maths for the leaving cert, it was nothing compared to maths I had to do in college!

If you REALLY do want engineering then go for it, full steam ahead by all means but (again if you're just not all that good with numbers) you may find it quite a struggle; late nights roaring at paper with scribbles on it.

As previous poster said switch to honours and get some serious grinds. there are a few guaranteed questions on maths papers so concentrate on those few (3?) subjects. If you can get three questions down then you'll be well on your way to a high score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Hold your horses there, theres a new course in D.I.T known as a "pass degree" which is pretty much the same as an full "honours degree", except you need pass maths to enter it. If you finish that course successfully, you can then apply to transfer to the final year of the "honours degree" if you so wish.

Thats what i was told, but double checkl that.

People who get a hell of a lot of grinds, study maths loads and do okay in the LC will not do well in a maths orientated course.
    Those people only did well due to the predictabilty of the papers, learning off answers/formula. Maths should come naturally to you, you cant learn off college maths, its about concepts not memory.

I always used to think I want great at maths up until JC, without the calculator I would always mess up, take ages on sums trying to get a decent answer, then get too frustrated to finish. However, I found the LC came much easier to me, I wasnt bogged down with calculations due to my calculator. Although I didnt choose a course in maths, I know I would have been able for it, I knew I understood concepts etc, I just didnt prepare enough and never got that 'essential' grind. My friend who is very good at maths says engineering in TCD is really hard and he puts in some serious hours but he manages, although he points out that you can spot those who struggle with concepts etc straight away, even those without Applied maths/physics are at a big disadvantage.

I dont know what the point in that was.....just think very strongly about this choice.
    Those who are better at maths will do better, get a better degree and get jobs easier in the first few years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement