Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noticed something about my windscreen!

Options
  • 26-01-2004 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

This afternoon at about 4 pm I started the journey home, I got in and eveything was already misted up.
    Except for one section - the top of the windscreen where the glass has a factory tint. Here the view out was fine, no mist/fog.

So question - what does the tint consist of and could it be used as an anti-fogging device I wonder...?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The darker tinted area absorbs sunlight better and radiates it as heat, thereby melting the condensation / frost (which was it?). That or it have different values as an insulator / conductor. Also - was it at the top of the vehicle which would be hte "warmest" part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was condensation and the clear section was exactly where the tint was no higher no lower, in a straight line
    following the tints edge. Not a coincidence.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The tinted section is probably some form of plastic bonded to the inside of the windscreen that is a much better insulator than glass, so it doesn't get cold enough to form condensation.
    Plastic laminate on the inside of windows is good at preventing condensation but it reduces visibility so is no good (and probably illegal) for windscreens. Double glazing is very resistant to condensation, I know it is getting more common in higher end cars for side windows, not sure if it is used for windscreens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

Originally posted by mike65
    This afternoon at about 4 pm I started the journey home, I got in and eveything was already misted up.
    Except for one section - the top of the windscreen where the glass has a factory tint. Here the view out was fine, no mist/fog.

So question - what does the tint consist of and could it be used as an anti-fogging device I wonder...?

Mike.

What car do you drive? I have a heated windscreen in my Focus, it takes 40 seconds to melt the ice on the windscreen. It also helps to remove the mist inside.

Trurl

Advertisement