Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Irish Person

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well it was either brian boru or michael collins for me and i went for BORU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by sceptre
    Ah but by no means could Cromwell be considered Irish so he wouldn't qualify.

Point taken. I was just grasping for someone despised enough to make it really worthwhile...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by therecklessone
    Point taken. I was just grasping for someone despised enough to make it really worthwhile...
    I guessed as much. You've about 48 hours (until the initial poll closes) to get the Rev Paisley on that list. Other worthwhile candidates include Eoin O'Duffy and Michael McDowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 sk_irl

Originally posted by Jaden
    De Valera - Did to Ireland what communism did to the USSR.
    Why must you compare DeValera to communism in the USSR? Unlik USSR communism DeValera never did anything progressive in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

DeValera wasn't irish - He was American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

poll is now closed. Looks like Michael Collins is the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

People actually voting for BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS - -- All I have to do to get nominated is get famous, and say a few **** lines about :

"lets all be happy...........why cant we all get along............everybody be nice..........end hunger..........................bla , bla ffffffffffffffeing bla...."""

lets wave Trimble and J Hume's hands in the air!!!!!! WOW ! Hes just ended the war in NI. BONO why didnt we just listen to you before and realise that fighting should stop and people should be nice and help old grannies accross the road.

He's a pathetic, over -emotional, yank-talking Paddy whos only living here for tax incentives and pays about €42 tax per year. (plus - his songs are **** and he wears sunglasses in winter time)

He's worse than fffin Geldof but at least Geldof can talk about music smartly.

BONO is the worst example we have of an MTV paddy.

so BONO's out. ----if music is your thing, McGowan, Kelly etc all dramatically changed and contributed to Irish culture

Dev, Collins, O' Connell, Emmet, Pearse, Boru all great Irishmen and in the running. They all had their flaws but they definitely contributed to changing Ireland for the better forever.

Is Whael - up to your old tricks again. But then again we have to accept colonised Irishmen into our society.(dig,dig!) (except Keving Myers)

ps
    Im no fan of the Hitler thing - Its Not nice but def understandable and anyways a lot of the stuff Hitler got up to never came out until after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Micheal Collins hasn't won.
    There will be speechs made about the top ten canditates and then the crowd will decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Mighty Mouse

Do I take it you’d agree to the Duke of Wellington in preference to Bono?

Of course when Bono was waving Trimble and Hume’s arms in the air, in his own mind he was recreating this moment from the life of Bob Marley:

“Back home in Jamaica the gunmen leaders of the two warring political factions (The Jamaican Labour Party and the Peoples National Party) approached Bob and asked him to perform at a concert marking a truce between them. The concert titled the 'One Love' Concert took place on 22 April 1978. During the concert Bob persuaded the Prime Minister Manley and the opposition leader (Edward) Seaga to join him on stage where they shook hands. An incredible event in Jamaica at that time. As a rseult of this act Bob received the United Nations' Peace Medal in New York the following June.”
    http://www.hotshotdigital.com/OldRock/BobMarleyBio.html

If you see footage of the 'One Love' Concert and compare it to Bono’s cringe inducing imitation you can see he’s having a w**k. The world is his theme park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Redleslie

Originally posted by Jaden
    As for the Duke of Wellington, he was a great Irishman. Critical in the success of the balltle of Waterloo and introduced Catholic emancipation.
    He only introduced catholic emancipation because Daniel O'Connell's clever strategy gave him no other choice. He approved of the Peterloo massacre, opposed parliamentary reform ("The conduct of government would be impossible, if the House of Commons should be brought to a greater degree under popular influence. That is the ground on which I stand in respect to the question in general of Reform in Parliament.") and had a very poor attitude to humanity in general. - "I have never doubted the inclination and disposition of the lower orders of the people. I told you years ago that they are rotten to the core." So he was an awful royalist reactionary twat imo. :mad:

As for Waterloo, yes Wellington was a great general but Napoleon had a fierce dose of piles on the day and had been administered an overdose of laudanum so he was operating at less than 100% :(

Jonathan Swift would be my choice for greatest Irishman and Mother Jones for greatest Irishwoman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I agree with you Ismael -- -- I didnt know that he was attempting to recreate "One Love" -- I found it hard to take an interest in the whole thing.

I do remember nearly having to reach for a bucket when I saw it though!!!

Never saw Trimble looking so slimy and happy since he nearly fell over himself to grab Paisleys hand and march up and down Garvaghy!!!!!

No - the Duke would nt make my top 5 anyways!!;)

Paul, "lets drop the debt, with no plan how to do it", Bonograph, Huston should get the back end of a shovel in Raynards some night.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

Bono's fantasy

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Manticore
    fact

me voted for mary robinson cause she was the best thing to happen to this country in politics in long time

any reasons for this comment or do you just fancy her ?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Cork
    DeValera did intern many IRA people in the 40's. When democracy was under threat in many European Countries. DeValera took action aganist the IRA.

Link

I think that de Valera deserves much credit for his stance with both the IRA & Blueshirts.

anyone who'd choose dev over collins can't call himself irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Anyone who chooses DeValera over Collins cant call himself Irish??????

Get a grip, lad.

I would choose DeValera over Collins personally.
    And I am a 'herself', FYI.
    And - I'm Irish!!!!!

Advertisement