Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD read errors

• 27-01-2004 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

Slightly strange one this.. I've recently been backing up a lot of old company work onto DVDs (DVD+R).. now they're cheap discs so I've been making three copies of each burn just in case (one goes offsite)...

Now of course this morning someone requires something off them, so go fish the required DVD out, and lo and behold theres a CRC error on copying the required file (250mb zip).. so slight panic stations, try the other DVD, no luck either.. this on my machine with the dvd writer used to burn them.. so try it on one of the machines in work with a DVD drive, no luck again, cue major panic stations, but turns out i managed to read and copy the file on a completly identical machine (hardware-wise)... which led me to believe it was just a software issue, which is the confusing part.

So they were burnt using Nero, without multisession, all machines are w2k (sp4) and the machine it could read from doesn't have any cd writing software installed at all, could that be the issue?

Just before I start any more backups..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Oh I should mention that I've had this problem with one or two other DVD brands (i.e. sporadic copying issues) on this machine... some of which were actually quality brands (for once)... which again leads me to believe its just a software issue with windows 2000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Did nero rename the files or anything ?

Advertisement