Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Change Amensty

Options
  • 27-01-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

I see a lot people are looking for name changes. How about a week or two every 3 or 4 months where there is an amensty and everyone with a valid excuse can chnage thier name. Any one who asks get told to wait for the amensty. All of this is at the admins discretion?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ugh.

I would say more of a once-off week-long amnesty where the admins turn on the option to allow all users to change their names, and then lock them, never to be changed again.

Of course this could result in all sorts of hilarious name-change-related hijinks, as well as a massively increased number of emails to the admins saying "I CHNAGED MY NMAE AND NOW I'VE FOR-GOTEN. OK TKS." Said emails will of course come from a different email address to the one they signed up with.

Nah, don't see a need for it tbh. There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number of name change requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me creates a few new accounts in preperation for squatting on a few well known names.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think we'll just stop doing it soon as its turning into a ton of work. We'll probably make it a Subscriber option or something, that way we get support for the time it takes to do them (they mount up pretty fast too).

I'm opposed to name changes anyway and we track people who have radical name changes frequently to watch to see if they are avoiding some mods attention.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I think name changes should either be denied or a service that costs a fiver to do. That way people would take more time to pick their name.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

it just confuses things if you keep changing your name, how are people supposed to remember who you are if you keep doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thats prolly the idea Beruthiel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If an admin changes a nick, then the previous nick should be recorded under the 'previous nicks' section of the user's profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by ecksor
    If an admin changes a nick, then the previous nick should be recorded under the 'previous nicks' section of the user's profile.

good idea.
    may i subscribe to your newsletter??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Hey SMAK ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Originally posted by Kaimera
    thats prolly the idea Beruthiel.

Not necissarily, i changed my name from jaffer a while back, first thing i did was post that i'd changed my name in the 2 major forums i use. i just changed my name coz

1. Jaffer was a stupid nick any way

2. Raphael is my standard web alias

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

They confuse the hell out of me, esp. when people have been posting under that alias for quite a while, and then they change it. People should put a little thought into their name when they are registering.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I see the point about losing track of who's who, but at least there should be a record under 'Previous nicks', so it isn't too bad. Perhaps a limit, as I noted with one user who just asked for their second name change.

I'm obviously not opposed to people changing names, and indeed I changed my own nick a few years back. I'd rather a name change than people setting up a new account.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I take it the previous nick part is filled in manually seeing as there's a typo on mine, that must get annoying :/

Well now that I've successfully had mine changed to my generic online alias I really don't care whether it's charged for or not, seems a bit excessive though :eek:

Advertisement