Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 on Ice

Options
  • 19-05-2000 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

What OS u using?
    got latest drivers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

i know whats wrong smile.gif
    The quakeGods have spoken and told me that
    you have too much ram and you should give 256mb's to podgeen and then it will all be fine (must give ram to podgeen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

sounds like you graphics card is over heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

win98...
    got latest drivers, yep...
    collie, how do i cool her down?
    UT runs perfectly, sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

heatsink, fan??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Yeah, try playing with an open case and when it happens shut it down, then check the heat of yer gfx card.

If it is overheating, take a fan or two from an old system and put them in places you reckon will keep the card cool...those little plastic ties are dead handy for placing fans in a case. if you can prevent the card from going gaagaa, you should be alright. biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Advertisement

jeepers... any other way? turning down textures, res or what like? surely a card shouldn't overheat just like that... i mean right outta the box?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

How can it be over heating and freezing up at the same time?

!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

daire its definitely a graphics card problem. generally when it freezes like that its coz the bus speed it too high , but i assume it aint clocked. if the machine is from gayway or hell ring them and **** them outta it for an hour. otherwise go with lucutus's suggestion coz hes damn right

btw BossArky, I hear ur queer? cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Sonic (edited 19-05-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

so like is there anyway to lower bus speed... and what sorta heat am i feeling for? burning heat? aaand...

what do i say to Dell? You sent us a machine and the GFX card bus speed is too high? what do i want them to do about it?

the sooner i get this to work the sooner i have a savage machine and a savage connection...

But wait, how do you explain UT working perfectly for hours at a time with top res and gfx settings? eeeh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its nothing to do with bus speed. because DELL don't overclock their machines. Its probably heat or a driver problem. More than likely a heat problem.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 19-05-2000).]

and UT simply doesn't push the card as hard as Q3?

This crashes like sometimes 15secs into game, doing nothing just sittign there with the console down. How many fans will I need?

[This message has been edited by Vorosha (edited 19-05-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Simple solution Daire lad

Type "Deltree Quake3" and your problems will be sorted.

Go on play a real Game like UT not a big girls blouse one like Q3.

Gandalf.

New puter in work that FREEZES up after half a minute or so of play. The graphics go abit 'wierd' before it happens aswell... sorta lines and polygons jumping all over the place. Completely freezes whole machine. Can't CTRL-ALT-DEL or nothin, only re-boot.

Tried GL-Setup, new Q£ version. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Daire - I have the same problem with my voodoo 3. its only been happening for the past 10 days. But it freezes for me when i play UT too. I thought it was fixed yesterday because i played a full match, but it froze twice on me today. The worst part is, you can't ctrl alt delete out of it, you have to press the reset button. Let me know if you find a solution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

what card is it????????????
    and a system spec

Dell- 540mbs ram, 800mhz, 32MB GeForce 256 AGP eeeeh anytin else?

AAAAARRRGHH. it just happened to me playing CA, just normal quake, not gl quake. It happens whenever i'm typing a lot, talking to people. Could that have something to do with it?

Nope, mine just freezes dead after afew seconds... maybe 5-40 seconds. Only Q3A, UT is perfect.

Anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Ah I'd say its definitely overheating Daire, do what the lads said and just run it with the open case. What ye are describing there is what happens when a gfx card crashes. Typical gay-assed Dell machine of course.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited 22-05-2000).]

• Advertisement

fair enuff

this is exactly why i'm reluctant to except your 'fan advice'. the puter is a work puter and i'm the only one who really wants Q3A to work. Others are content with UT. IS there ANY other way to fix this? Without me opening the box. grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Illkillya,

i have the same prob as well, just crashs the comp, mostly when i was playing ut but now if a big word doc is open it does it as well..

gonna see if i can get around it though..

P

oh god. not word next frown.gif

the thing is, i tried to play a match last night and it crashed twice on me, and i only got 7mins playing. An hour later, i played a practise 4v4 and i had no problems for the full 25mins or so. I think its because someone would have being playing Half-life or SOF on the comp that day... if that could make a difference... but sometimes, the video card would be stone cold, because i had just started up the comp, its like it needs to warm up or something

Advertisement