Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

combatting spam

• 27-01-2004 3:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I figure that by totally ignoring spam (as in not even deleting it), you eventually stop getting it.

I have a Yahoo account and it automatically deletes it after so-many days. On one of my other accounts I used to get sh*t loads of spam, and i neglected it for a while and when I went back to it I wasnt getting any anymore...

any one else know of decent ways to stop spam on a regular account like at yahoo?? Blocking the addresses doesnt work, and Ive heard that alot of spammers just send out to any address, and if they receive confirmation that the email was opened or deleted they then know the address exists.

Flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by flogen
    I figure that by totally ignoring spam (as in not even deleting it), you eventually stop getting it.

Wrong :) as long as your email provider accepts mails to your address then you will get spam...

Best bet is to limit your email addresses publicity on the web (i.e. on webpages, bulletin boards, newsgroups etc.)... less chance it will be picked up, you'll still get hit by the random dictionary spam anyway (apple@orange.com etc.)

I use gmx.net and they have a very handy spam filter, which mails you once a day with all the mails they've filtered from your account (so you can see if something genuine got stuck).

Try a web service like http://www.0spam.com .. they automatically login to your account and delete the spam, bit of a privacy issue if you ask me, and white& blacklists have to be created, but its still pretty handy.

Advertisement