Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP error - Vice City

• 27-01-2004 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm going bananas with this already ...

Trying to run Vice City on my Centrino 1.4 Fujitsu Laptop, 512 MB memory, Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (Intel® 852/855 Chipset Family).

Can get to select "New Game" - freezes on the next screen "Marco's Bistro, 1986".
    Windows comes back 20 seconds later with "Windows has detected and recovered from ..." error. At this stage the screen's gone back to 640x480 and the pallette's screwed.

Here's the fun bit .. I've reinstalled the latest version of the Graphics Drivers, Direct X and the game itself a couple of times now. Another game ("Mafia") runs fine on the same machine. Intel says my graphics setup should handle the game OK.

Has anyone had / heard of anything similar ? I'm going mad here ...

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There is a Windows XP patch for vice city, but I don't think it addresses that problem. Try it anyway though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Forgot to say .. dxdiag runs fine, no problems anywhere.

Using DirectX 9

Thanks Stephen.

I've applied the already ?patch

Has anyone managed to run it with the same "graphics card" even ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

dd u try turning down al the extra frivels like high detail and everything.
    i got an error like that on halo but it was sorted when i turned off things like shadows and decals and put texture detail to medium
    im using a radeon 9200 atm also

I'll try that alright, but I don't think my card is that fancy. I've tried lowering the hardware acceleration right down ... from about midway or less it gives me "Not enough video memory" error.

Are there any in-game options I should knock off ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You're probably going to have more sucess on the game's/developer's support website. You'll have a lot more chance of finding people there with the same problem as you.

Thanks all ... will see if I get any joy out of the developers ...

Success !

Intel just put up some new drivers ... version 6.14 ... did the trick anyway.

Happy bunny now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Crimson

for some reson theres a no-cd hack that infact works for that kinda prob

Advertisement