Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with home hosting and ibb or netsource

• 27-01-2004 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

help me plz im running 2 different dsl connections at the moment but im not planning on doing this for long im with netsource and ive just got in ibb brezze plus . the plan was to see how good ibb is cos i download alot of stuff and netsource is putting me in the tunnel every so on for going above the capp off point . so the plan was get ibb with no cap off ,but its so slow compared to NS, and its never stable if im using mirc to download its up and down like a yoo yoo and every so ofen im loosing my connection and if its not resume supported im fu**ed and then when i try to use bittorrent it barely above 2 to 3 kbs im running of the jamess gate tower any body eles getting bad pings and speed from that tower ?
    at this stage the highest ive gotten of ibb is about 30 to 35 kbs they say if im below 64kbs then ive got a problem im on a 8:1 con rat :at this stage im thinking highly of dropping ibb theyve messed about from base trying to sort it out but so far nothing if any one has any advice drop a line ,im also mad stuck on trying to host a website from my home pc so if anyone can help me with that aswell i,d be chuffed that was the main reson i started this tread to begin with then i got lost waffleing on about my dsl im badly stuck for a simple step by step guide to hosting my on website from home useing the most idot proof software and so on thanks in advance for any help you may give

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

If your hosting a website from home your gonna need something better than what either of those providers offer. The upload rate needs to be fairly high for a website that is getting even a low number of hits. This would be reduced when your dl too so that something else to watch.
    Setting up a webserver on your pc is very easy tho. Apache is prob the best server and it's free too which is a major plus. You could set it up and test it from your second connection and you'll see the speeds it gives.
    In regards IBB, I know someone who has it but not in that location. They are on a diff pack (higher content ratio) and get speeds alot higher than 35k. Best bet is to ring IBB and talk to them about it. Tell them you'll cancel if they dont fix it and so on and they should do something about it.
    The second pack up on netsource btw doesnt get your connection throttled if you dl over a certain amount.

as far as i know netsource put you in the tunnel or trottles you if you go above there new capp off which is now 4 gig aweek or 16 amonth ive being trottled by them before they sent out there up dated contracts a couple of monhts a go

Once you start going over 16gb a month they will start throttling you. Any package above the basic one doesnt have this limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

at this stage the highest ive gotten of ibb is about 30 to 35 kbs they say if im below 64kbs then ive got a problem im on a 8:1 con rat

I think you misunderstood, you're getting (currently) 300-350 KBPS, if you get under 64KBPS (i.e. 8 KB a second) then you have a problem.

If you are getting 30-35kb/s, then thats about 4-5 times the minimum you're supposed to get. Please keep in mind that if you get full 64kb/s down at all times, you are a very lucky guy. Or you're on a capped service. If you download at 8kb/s non-stop for one month, you'll still burst eircom's cap, and even iol's cap. (you'd have downloaded nearly 20 gb's)

IBB service is good from what I've heard from someone who has it. Speeds are constantly around 50+k dl's from it and it's upcapped.
    His content ratio is 1:8 so in fairness now.35k is quite slow. Someone else on the line must be hogging the bandwidth or else you do have a problem. Either way your speeds are quite slow for the 512service.

Advertisement