Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PocketPC Emulator connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server

Options
  • 27-01-2004 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hey there!
    Before i start, i'm not looking for any code. As part of my project for diploma, i'm doing a mobile device application for the pocket pc in c#. That's all fine and dandy, but i haven't been given a pocket pc from the college yet, they won't get here until next week or so - so i'm stuck with the emulator (pocket pc emulator 2002 sdk). Now i've been searching the net for about an hour or so, using google, altavista, etc.. and i can't find anything helpful to me. What i need to do with the emulator, for now, is connect to a Microsoft SQL Server that is running locally, and just play with the database. So i have a few questions that i need answered because it's a bit blurry.... Can microsoft sql server ce be installed onto the emulator, if so, how!? Can the emulator connect to a local microsoft sql server and retrieve data? If this isn't possible i'm going to have to switch to local xml files ( if it's possible to create them on the emulator) instead of a db with xml reader, which is something that i don't want to do.
    Your help is very much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I dont have a real answer for you regards the pocket pc, but you should be access it via a web interface I would suspect.

Does your emulator allow you to emulate a wireless connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I dont have a real answer for you regards the pocket pc, but you should be access it via a web interface I would suspect.

Does your emulator allow you to emulate a wireless connection?

Not that i know of Hobbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

How do you intent to connect to SQL server when you have your DPA?

AFAIK pocket pc emulator, is very limited it cannot emulate com connection or wireless.

Did you know that there is a SQL server for windows CE from MS?

Its ok, i figured it out and got it working now. Thanks anyway though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

When you figure things out, can you share with the rest of us? Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

The emulator needed to have a virtual network, so i had to set up microsoft loopback adapter and then it talked to the SQL Server. I also had to perform other tweaks, check out this http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstechart/html/grfUsingEmulatorInSmartDeviceProjects.asp

Tis where i got all the info :)

Advertisement