Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Record signing for the Gunners!!

• 27-01-2004 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1120894,00.html

have been hearing alot about this kid

looks like a long term replacment for pires but im sure he can play upfront along side henry too

i have to wonder is he worth 24 million!?
    well wenger has been the most astute manager around so i guess i trust his judgement more than mine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

well wenger has been the most astute manager around so i guess i trust his judgement more than mine

ya can say that again!

Thats a savage amount of money for a 20 year old. To think that everyone dissed the fee United paid for Ferdinand and he had already proven himself at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I find this very hard to believe. Wenger specifically said that he would not be signing anyone in the transfer window, unless he got a great deal that he couldn't resist. €24 / €35 million is not a "great deal" by anyone's stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Maybe someone was moving in, and tehy had to close the deal quickly...

Crazy money ... seems as if English Clubs (and Real) are the only ones which still spend this kind of money these days. For how long can that go on ?

But I think a good signing.. if not a bit on the steep side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

he better be good ye wont be buying anymore players for a long time with the new stadium and all that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

In fairness, the guy has the official Arsenal crest up on his website. I'd be very surprised if he was allowed to use it without prior permission...

If he's costing twice the money Henry cost, then he'd better be twice as good! :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

It is a lot of money but TBH it is unlikely that Wenger spent that amount of money on a flop. He hasn't done that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

WilTurd cost around 11M - and IMO hes been a flop.

For that amount of money he will get a hard time if hes not top scorer every season.

In reality if he was that good though Real would have got him so would have to wonder, unless of course they have someone lined up(Micky Owen) anyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Reyes said:
    ``I'm leaving the best team in Spain to join the best team in England.''

Well he is already ****ing uninformed saying stupid stuff like that. They arent the best team in England. Man Utd are. Accept it Reyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I wouldn't have thought seville were the best team in spain either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Reyes is a god of a player. He is brilliant. Will fit in amazingly with the gunners. Arsene has a good buy if this is true. All he will have to do is explain to him how Sevilla are by far not the best team in Spain and that Man Utd are the best team in England...then he will be ok. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

the fee is 16.5 million sterling,
    the other 8 million will be paid over 3 years due to apperances and goals and the like

imo not a bad day at the office at all
    he is supposed to be a hell of alot better than c ronaldo
    been playing in the senior side with sevile since he was 15 and a regular spainish international
    he has a lot of potential to fulfill

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When I heard this news I immediately thought that there is someone leaving Arsenal. There is no way the board has given AW that type of money to spend before the summer. If Wiltord, Kanu etc has been off loaded then this news may be easier to swallow.

The official Arsenal website has confirmed the signing but at an 'undisclosed fee'

Hyzepher

he is supposed to be a hell of alot better than c ronaldo

afaik he is currently.

http://www.arsenal.com/sportsappcontroller.jsp?command=setSelectedId&nextPage=displayheadline&type=com.sportapps.news.NewsItem&id=4324384

and now its offical!! :)

expect too in a few days a offical comment as regards the stadium
    looks like things are moving along nicely in AG consturction work has unoffically began there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

First thing i though was where did they ge the money!!!

Maybe Henry to Real????

Anyway, if they dont need to sel anyone to fund this buy, it's just the shot in the arm the Arsenal squad needed!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

both wilturd and Kanu are on frees this summer so the only thing they will save there is wages - they seem to have put all their eggs in one basket - Keown hasn't long left and they will be thin in defence then.

Originally posted by kida
    both wilturd and Kanu are on frees this summer so the only thing they will save there is wages - they seem to have put all their eggs in one basket - Keown hasn't long left and they will be thin in defence then.

jeffers too will be sold off aswell i think volz was sold to fulham earlier on
    keown isnt needed anymore imo
    arsenal have King TOURE!!
    senderous too but he is currently injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    When I heard this news I immediately thought that there is someone leaving Arsenal. There is no way the board has given AW that type of money to spend before the summer. If Wiltord, Kanu etc has been off loaded then this news may be easier to swallow.

The official Arsenal website has confirmed the signing but at an 'undisclosed fee'

Hyzepher

Henry to Real in the summer perhaps. 20 m for Reyes and some spare change to put towards the Stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Reyes said:

Well he is already ****ing uninformed saying stupid stuff like that. They arent the best team in England. Man Utd are. Accept it Reyes.

Just out of curiosity, what are you basing the best team in england on ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Henry to Real in the summer perhaps. 20 m for Reyes and some spare change to put towards the Stadium.

wont happen mate
    remember aresnal only spent 1.5 million on a kepper in the lastyear or so so they have bulit up a bit of a nest egg for themselves

finances for the stadium have been all secured and just need the final final rubber stamp on it!
    so there is no need to sell players for the building of a stadium
    what are you basing the best team in england on ?

his red tinted glasses
    this will lead to alot of bickering :(

here
    is a link to some of reyes goals for seville for all ye that have BB

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Reyes is primarily a left winger, though he can play up front too.

There's been so much talk of this but i never thought it would happen due to the price.

On the plus side, he's apparently (never seen him play, got to see 1 Sevilla game in Spain and he wasn't playing :() the most talented young player in Spain after Joaquin. He's not cup tied either, so he could feature in the CL against Celta Vigo in feb/march.

On the down side, the figures being thrown around are a lot of money and he might have trouble settling in. I read he can't even read (or write, not sure), though i don't know if that's true or not. Most of Arsenal's recent 'big' signings seem to like it there though. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

its a miricle, arsenge wenger has NOT bought a french player!!

im not so sure on this guy, he had 1 great game against madrid and then clubs including liverpool became interested. Gerard houllier makes poor signings, anyone he wanted to buy cant be that great.

wenger hasnt taken a transfer gamble in his time at arsenal, no big money spent until now. we'll see if reyes is a flop or not in the english game.

now who's saying saha was overpriced again?????? in a supposed time of crises in football (in terms of money) and a collapse in the transfer market, is it not a bit ridiculous and a HUGE gamble to pay a club record 20m for a relatively unexperienced player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gerard houllier makes poor signings, anyone he wanted to buy cant be that great.

Yeah, same with United's Ronaldo - Houllier wanted to sign him and at that stage Ronaldo wanted to join (even said it would be a dream move for him) but because of the links United have with Lisbon, they got him. Still, Houllier wanted him so he must be crap. But hang on then, what about Harry Kewell both Houllier and Ferguson wanted him, so does that mean he's crap or brilliant, I'm so confused!

You know smemon you really talk rubbish at times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The more I think about it, the more I am convinved that AW has gambled on a good CL run with José Reyes involved. AW needed another striker anyway and if he waited until the summer the price may have gone up - especially if he has a good Euro 2002.

AW will probably try and set him up as an out and out striker - as he did with TH14. I haven't seen this kid in action - is he quick?

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

AW will probably try and set him up as an out and out striker - as he did with TH14. I haven't seen this kid in action - is he quick?

yea he is quick, good header of the ball and looks strong too but may need to bulk up a bit for the premership
    good finisher too, has a strikers instict about him

have a look at some of the goals in the link i gave ya
    the more stars the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cody Hanna

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    especially if he has a good Euro 2002.

Yeah, should be a good competition ;)

word on the street is that he signed for 16mill

• Advertisement

Man Utd are the best team in England. If none of you realise that, then you need to stop drinking.

they were the best team in england at the end of last season, ronaldo

LOL no there the best team in England period. In the last ten years, they have been the most successful club by far in England.

Originally posted by kaids
    they were the best team in england at the end of last season, ronaldo
    Tell Wenger will ya..:D

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Man Utd are the best team in England. If none of you realise that, then you need to stop drinking.
    my dad is bigger than your dad

come on ronaldo its not just that simple!
    utd won the league last season and fair play to them

they lasted the whole season especially at the end where it mattered

but that was last year and if you bring in history then you will get liverpool fans here saying" we got more trophies etc etc"

arsenal at the moment are the best team in england
    thats all im going to say

16 million looks like it is alright
    he might even get to play on sunday against man city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Personally i consider the PL champions as the best team in England until the end of the following season when they may or may not be de throned.

Best team until proven otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

What a signing!!!

Anytime I've seen this guy play he's looked different class, perfect for the way Arsenal play - he's pacy, got fantastic control, the lot really :)

BTW, anyone saying that this signing might be because of the future sale of henry - forget it, Wenger will go before henry does. Its just ridiculous to suggest. The finance is now in place for Ashburton Grove and work has begun already - the club are waiting till Feb 1st to announce it - obviously that fact might have hiked up club's asking price once Arsenal came calling. Theres been talk of Granada paying up 30million since that funding was in place also.

Anyone who hasn't seen the guy play, its something to look forward to, a class, class player :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Excellent!!!

And he might play on sunday:D :D

BTW Henry will never be sold

Originally posted by Henry_14
    Excellent!!!

And he might play on sunday:D :D

BTW Henry will never be sold

Utd fans said the very same this time last year about Beckham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Utd fans said the very same this time last year about Beckham.

Yeah but Beckham was/is in no comparison to Henry

Beckham allowed the speculation to build up pace, playing up the ferguson incident etc.
    Henry just knocks any specualtion on its head - the guy has alomst become the leader at the club because of the commitment to the badge.

• Advertisement

Selling Henry makes no sense for Arsenal - you can't say the same about Beckham & United.

Originally posted by bazH
    Yeah but Beckham was/is in no comparison to Henry

How right you are. Henry owes allot to Wenger

BTW all these repots are from Reyes website.

Anyone know the URL?

Selling Henry makes no sense for Arsenal - you can't say the same about Beckham & United.

Henrys worth a lot of money at the moment. With the falling price of players now is the time to cash in. Arsenal were broke at the start of the season, where has the money come from?

Well actually Arsenal weren't broke at the start of the season - the Sevilla President rejected an 8million bid from Arsenal last summer.
    Wenger has just been waiting to get his number 1 target.
    Also, the finance for Ashburton Grove has finally been set in stone - that was always going to make it a bit dodgy to splash out a load of money until that was tied up.

Arsenal are attempting to move from being a semi-top club to being a top club. Selling the world's best striker so you can replace him with a younger less tested player doesn't make sense, no matter what money is involved (not to mention the devastating effect the loss of Henry would have on his teammates and the fans).

Arsenal are attempting to move from being a semi-top club to being a top club. Selling the world's best striker so you can replace him with a younger less tested player doesn't make sense, no matter what money is involved (not to mention the devastating effect the loss of Henry would have on his teammates and the fans).

And Vieira rejecting Real Madrid in the summer which is a good vote of confidance for the clubs future

But on the topic of departures, it does look likely that either Bergkamp, Kanu, Wiltord or a combination of 2 or all of them will be departing shortly. With Reyes arriving and Aliadiere and Bentley rising through the ranks the competition for places up front is heating up. I suspect Bergkamp will be kept for another season to help nurture Bentley in particular while Wiltord and probably Kanu will be shown the door.

Yep Wiltord and kanu will go IMO

Kanu isnt to bad though. Not worth 40 grand a week though

• Advertisement
Advertisement