Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Record signing for the Gunners!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To whoever said he hasn't proved himself, and that it's crazy money, shut up.

he has been on the spainish national squad since he was just 18, he has been scoring reguarly in spain for the last 3 years, and he is wanted by the top 5 clubs in europe (Milan, Juve, Real, Bayern and Man yoo).

Man yoo paid £18m for Christiano Falloverdo not 6 months ago, now that IS stupid money when you consider Milan paid €12m for Kaká, which is about half what ronaldo cost!

Reyes is a great player, and is only going to get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Reyes won't play against City - he's a one match ban from Spain to do.

Wenger was pressured into the purchase due to Wiltord and Aliadiere being injured and looking like taking longer to come back than thought at first, and Kanu at the African Cup, so only Henry & Bergkamp available from the first team.

To me it looks like Wiltord will be going in the summer, though it wouldn't surprise me if he goes this week, since then the club gets the money. Wiltord has always wanted to play for PSG, so maybe he'll wait till the summer and go on a free.

Kanu looks like he wants to stay. Plus, if he can stay in the UK for another year he can get some kind of residency rights and bring his family over. Whether Wenger will want to keep paying him at the same level is another matter. He's underperformed in the past few seasons, especially when you consider the form he hit when he single-handedly beat Chelsea ;)

Denis will probably stay for another year if Wenger gives him the opportunity - I say keep him as long as we can. He may be past his prime, but can still pull off the killer passes every now and then, plus he works very well with Freddie.

I'm looking forward to seeing Reyes. Perhaps this is where Arsenal will finally get a plan B - did someone mention that he can actually head the ball ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bring in Niall Quinn on the cheap i say, his extra dimension will bring us the CL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Posted by Seaneh
    To whoever said he hasn't proved himself, and that it's crazy money, shut up.

What ever way you try to defend it £16 million is crazy money until he proves himself for his new club.

Man Utd paid 12.4 million pounds sterling for C.Ronaldo not 18 million, which is pretty crazy money for a teenager. So if £12.4 million for a teenager is crazy money then so too is 16 million for a 20 year old so stop contradicting your self.

Man Yoo and Cristiano Falloverdo. Very clever do you write your own material?

P.S. Were you never told that it is bad manners to tell people to shut up? Ignorance is an act of a Limited Mind!

Reyes has been playing for his national team for 2 years, he is a striker who has been scoring a lot in one of the top 3 leagues in the world for the last 3-4 seasons, he has already proven himself.

Ronaldo on the otherhand, played for sporting's first team for about 4 months toward the eand of last season, had yet to play a competitive game for portugal, and has shows only signs of class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Saha was worth what they paid for.
    I never said otherwise.

Actually smiarias, Saha is scoring regularily in the premiership so far this season. It's the first season he's done it, and hes 25? 26?

There's a reason he cost 16 million, it's because he is young, and apparently highly talented (hence all the interest in him). Personally i feel they paid a little bit over the price. Still though, if he works out he's got 5 years playing at the top level more than Saha. Thats worth a few quid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

saha is having a good season so far but is inconsistent imo
    good for fulham, not too sure if he is the player utd should be buying
    but if he is crap then i cant really argue :)

how many caps does he have for france??
    when did he perform on the top level?

reyes is a more solid and reliable buy
    and his best is yet to come

• Advertisement

Reyes has been playing for his national team for 2 years, he is a striker who has been scoring a lot in one of the top 3 leagues in the world for the last 3-4 seasons

Ok youve said this already. Roll back 2 years and tell me what Reyes has done. It is unfair to compare an 18 year old to a 20 year old. those two years make a huge difference in a players career.

Any way I'm not argueing that Reyes is a bad player or that he isn't worth 16 million pounds. I'm merly pointing out that its a lot of money.
    he has already proven himself.

No, he has proved he has potential. He has not yet won anything nor has he had to deal with being Arsenals most expensive signing. He also has to deal with the English tabloids. No player who costs 16million has proved himself before he plays for a club that paid that much money for him. It's a lot of pressure for a 20 year old.

The same could be said for Juan Veron. He had already proved himself before he became a Man Utd player.

I think it is a little unfair to compare Ronaldo to Reyes. There is a huge difference between 18 and 20.

Andriy Shevchenko.
    Ronaldo.
    Inzahgi.

All players who had proven them selves before any club paid anything near 16million for them.

infact, no club has ever paid 16million for Shechenko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Just to make a point about what Jank said at the start of the post - "well wenger has been the most astute manager around so i guess i trust his judgement more than mine"

I wouldn't call him as astute. Yes he has pulled off some masterstrokes but what manager hasn't. Arsenal fans seem to forget the likes of Jeffers, Van Bronckhorst etc. Even Wiltord hasn't justified the money that they dished out for him. Pennant too was fairly expensive when they picked him up at 15.

I've seen Reyes play a few games and while I am very impressed with what I've seen so far I don't know how big a gamble it is.

Yes hes a Spanish international, yes he looks great but lets compare other Spanish players who went abroad. Mendieta was the bees knees in Spain. Piss poor at Lazio and average really at Boro. Javi Moreno was the next big thing in Spain for Alaves and then did ****e in Serie A. He currently can't get onto the Bolton team ahead of the mighty Kevin Davies (a player Southampton reckoned wasn't good enough to be a part of their squad).

I know people question the signing of Saha but at least he won't have to settle to English life, learn a new language or deal with as much pressure.

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I hope Reyes does well but I think it is a major gamble at the same time. While Spain is a great league I don't think the players do well abroad. I can't really think of a top Spaniard doing the business abroad atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by AthAnRi

Ok youve said this already. Roll back 2 years and tell me what Reyes has done. It is unfair to compare an 18 year old to a 20 year old.

No, he has proved he has potential.

# Scored first goal in his second match (v Espanyol (a) 16 September 2001 - won 3-2).

# In his first season, helped Seville to promotion to the Spanish top division.

# Five days after his 20th birthday, made his debut for the full Spanish national team in a 3-0 Friendly International win over Portugal.

# Scores his first two goals for Spanish national team in 4-0 EURO qualifier victory away to Armenia, played in Yerevan on 11th October 2003.

And

Season 2001/2002 (Div 2)
    Apps 29, Goals 8

Season 2002/2003 (La Liga)
    Apps 34, Goals 9

Season 2003/2004 (La Liga)
    Apps 19, Goals 4

Total
    Apps 82, Goals 22

Spain (2003 - Present)
    4 appearances (2 goals)
    _©Arsenal.com_______________________

For a 20yr old Winger that Aint bad. And he played first team football for seville when he was 9

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The funny thing is that this lad looks to have more potential at the point of coming to Highbury than TH did. In fact there are similarities between the two and I have a feeling that AW will make him a striker to partner TH rather than leave him out on the wing.

I also like the fact that he is quick - TH has always been a good provider of the ball but he just needed someone with his pace etc to take advantage of it. Maybe now we will see a frightening strikeforce that is harder to nullify and more than just TH + 1

Hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Sorry to be pedantic about this but:

"For a 20yr old Winger that Aint bad. And he played first team football for seville when he was 9"

Top logic there, i'm sure Emile Heskey or Forlan has played first team football since they were nine. Im sue the majority of premiership players have played first team football since they were 9, but not not for a premiership first team. Thought he only made his debut in 2001?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by talla
    Sorry to be pedantic about this but:

"For a 20yr old Winger that Aint bad. And he played first team football for seville when he was 9"

Top logic there, i'm sure Emile Heskey or Forlan has played first team football since they were nine. Im sue the majority of premiership players have played first team football since they were 9, but not not for a premiership first team. Thought he only made his debut in 2001?

Yeah ur right

José joined Seville at the age of nine, and starred in the first team at just 17, helping the club return to Spain's top division during 2001/2002

Still 17 is pritty young for a first team place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Has anyone heard then official Transfer fee as his former manager is saying they gor moree than United did for Beckham. Has the breakdown of who got what from the transfer been published yet?

From Arsenal.com (again)

The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable (75 apps) immediately. 6.9 m Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Is he now the Premiership's most expensive teenager?

lol - probably - if he was one ;)

Hyzepher

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    lol - probably - if he was one ;)

Hyzepher

:D

10.5 mill initial fee then, that's not bad. He'll probably have realised some of his potential if Arsenal have to pay the rest for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

10.5 mill initial fee then, that's not bad. He'll probably have realised some of his potential if Arsenal have to pay the rest for him.

This makes more sense. I think Wenger is far too cute to splash a fortune on any player who hasn't yet being tested in the English game or the English Lifestyle.

How many Spaniards have successfully adapted to the Premiership and more specifically the English culture ?? Not alot.

He has enormous potential and has been talked about for years. I'm surprised Real would allow a Spanish wonderkid leave the country but Seville surely would prefer him to go to London than Madrid or Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

where did the 10.5 million come from? - the fee has not been disclosed officially so everything is heresay.

posted by Henry_14

# Scored first goal in his second match (v Espanyol (a) 16 September 2001 - won 3-2).

# In his first season, helped Seville to promotion to the Spanish top division.

# Five days after his 20th birthday, made his debut for the full Spanish national team in a 3-0 Friendly International win over Portugal.

# Scores his first two goals for Spanish national team in 4-0 EURO qualifier victory away to Armenia, played in Yerevan on 11th October 2003.

October 2003 isn't even 6months ago never mind 2 years ago. He made his international debut when he was 20 not 18. My point was that Ronaldo has done exactly the same as reyes had done when he was 18. He has made his international debut for Portugal already 2 years before Reyes. He has played first team football for ManUtd. Scored a goal for Man Utd, and If Man Utd win something this year it can be argued that he 'Helped' them do that, and all before his 19th birthday. And before you point out that 12.4million was a lot of money, I KNOW. When Ronaldo was sold to ManU ye ABU's were the first to point it out, but now that the shoe is on the other foot ye just cannot admit it.

Yet again I will reiterate that I'm not saying that Reyes is a bad player. I'm just saying that it is unfair to compare an 18year old to a 20 year old.
    Posted by Seaneh
    Andriy Shevchenko.
    Ronaldo.
    Inzahgi.

All players who had proven them selves before any club paid anything near 16million for them.

infact, no club has ever paid 16million for Shechenko

I'm a little confused as to what the point your trying to make is. Fair enough it was acknowledged that Ronaldo was one of the best players in the world and maybe he proved that. However as soon as any club pays 50million for him then he really has to prove that to the club.

If reyes does well in Arsenal then he will have proved that he is worth 16million. If he doesn't he won't. And to be quite honest I don't think he has proved anything yet(Not saying he won't, just sayin not yet). Just because he has played with a mediocre side in Spain and has a few international caps it doesn't mean that he is worth that amount of money. Only time can tell that.

P.S. Before if someone decides to quote me then don't take it out of context. Read the full post before you pick and chose which lines to quote.

Originally posted by kida
    where did the 10.5 million come from? - the fee has not been disclosed officially so everything is heresay.

Beckham went for more than that. Why have arsenal not announced the deal like Utd with Saha considering the current furore about transfers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

the deal is not done yet - he still has to pass a medical.

AthAnRi where did i compare him to c.ronaldo

Well Henry_14, It looks like you don't even read the Quotes you post never mind the actual post you got them from.

You quoted me to say the following
    Posted by me

Ok you’ve said this already. Roll back 2 years and tell me what Reyes has done. It is unfair to compare an 18 year old to a 20 year old.

This was taken out of a post where I mentioned C.Ronaldo (18) and Reyes(20). Since you posted it in your response it insinuates that you are in fact engaging in an argument about the very same conversation. If not then you are posting it out of context and just trying to show how good you are at finding out information about Reyes from the net.

Yes ok it was unessary of me to quote you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

If anyone has seen Reyes in action on Sky Sports over the xmas break you would've seen how good he is. He made a show of Figo, Zidane and Roberto Carlos. He was unbelievable. I think it's money well spent by Arsenal and he's a hell of a lot better the Cristiano "Hows my hair, I'm a diver" Ronaldo.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Why have arsenal not announced the deal like Utd with Saha considering the current furore about transfers?

Utd are a public company that is floated on the stock exchange
    under their rules all transactions (ie transfers) have to be made public

arsenal are a private company and are not subject to the same rule that is why arsenal always keep their fee offically undisclosed and why transfers arent dragged out to the death and the price put up and up. They have much more flexiblity than utd when it comes to transfers.

maybe utd could learn a thing or two from arsenal in how to conduct transfers :D

Fair enough Henry_14.

kensutz, read the thread. Nobody has once said he isn't a good player.
    Cristiano "Hows my hair, I'm a diver" Ronaldo.

Say something thats at least original for God Sake. And yes he is better that Ronaldo BUT HE'S 2 YEARS OLDER THAN HIM READ THE GOD DAMN THREAD

They did offically relese the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

AthAnRi

I was just commenting on the way he played against Real Madrid thats all.I never said anyone was saying anything bad about him so why dont you read my post again.

Originally posted by Henry_14
    They did offically relese the fee

It's official all right - on the Arsenal site. This is an unusual step for them as they dont release this type of information normally. Looks like they wan tthe worls to know that they did a good deal

Hyzepher

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    It's official all right - on the Arsenal site. This is an unusual step for them as they dont release this type of information normally. Looks like they wan tthe worls to know that they did a good deal

Hyzepher

Any mention of what the agents got or is there an agent involved?

""The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable immediately. Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year. ""

from arsenal.com

what a good deal it turned out to be in the end!

17 million max it will be
    initial fee of 7 million
    the other remainder will be paid over a few years!

Wait until he is 24/25 when he will be worth the same as henry
    and if (big if) he is a flop then it only costs arsenal 10 million!

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yeah I don't think you can base someone based on a single match, especially when they're playing a big club because its not exactly hard to get motivated now is it.

Going on the basis of one match Scarborough were better than Newcastle as they only lost 1-0 to Chelsea and gave them a real run for it and Alex Rae is better than the whole of the Utd team because he was the star of the show vs Utd when Wolves beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

Athanri has taken every single thing i wanted to say and done it ten times better than how i would have gone about doing it.

Chow Mone to that!

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Athanri has taken every single thing i wanted to say and done it ten times better than how i would have gone about doing it.

Chow Mone to that!

Good for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

please tell me you don't think it's spelled Chow mone?

From ESPN

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has reassured fans that the signing of Spanish star Jose Antonio Reyes will not jeopardise plans to move to a new ground.

Reyes could end up costing the Gunners £15million, but not all of that will be paid up front, so it does not affect the £250million funding they need for their new stadium at Ashburton Grove.

Hill-Wood said: 'It doesn't affect the stadium, not one bit. We have an amount for transfer fees in our budget and that won't affect the new ground.

'What we have done is use the bulk of the fund in this transfer window rather than wait for the end of the season.'

Hill-Wood gave fans a further reassurance that the arrival of Reyes will not signal the departure of Thierry Henry, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

'No way is he going - to Real Madrid or anywhere else,' Hill-Wood told the Evening Standard.

'That is definite. And I don't think he wants to go. He is very well paid by us and though he could maybe earn more money in Madrid, he is very happy here and he loves both the club and his lifestyle.'

"The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable (75 apps) immediately. £6.9m Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year."
    Just trying to figure this out exactly. So it means Arsenal have paid £6.9m (€10m) straight away, with the remaining £3.6m (€5m) to be paid in installments at some time in the future (not in this financial year). In addition to that £6.6m (€9.5m) may be paid in the future also depending on appearances etc?

then, considering he's only costing £6.9m this year, that presumeably leaves Wenger with £13.1m left in the kitty (assuming comments that he'd have £20m in the summer to spend are true).

hmm, nice :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Henry_14
    From ESPN

Hill-Wood gave fans a further reassurance that the arrival of Reyes will not signal the departure of Thierry Henry, who has been linked with a move to Real Madrid.

'No way is he going - to Real Madrid or anywhere else,' Hill-Wood told the Evening Standard.

'That is definite. And I don't think he wants to go. He is very well paid by us and though he could maybe earn more money in Madrid, he is very happy here and he loves both the club and his lifestyle.'

Ah the vote of confidence from the Charman. Nuff said he's off in the summer.
    Originally posted by Ronaldo7

Thats so funny.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by jank
    ""The initial consideration is €15 million (£10.5m), of which €10 million is payable immediately. Additional consideration of up to €9.5 million may become payable, subject to various appearance and performance criteria being satisfied. Arsenal does not expect any of the above sums, other than the initial €10 million fee, to become payable in its current financial year. ""

from arsenal.com

what a good deal it turned out to be in the end!

17 million max it will be
    initial fee of 7 million
    the other remainder will be paid over a few years!

Wait until he is 24/25 when he will be worth the same as henry
    and if (big if) he is a flop then it only costs arsenal 10 million!

:D:D

I'm not nitpicking but those figures don't add up?!?! :(

B.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Ah the vote of confidence from the Charman. Nuff said he's off in the summer.

what makes you think that??
    henry owes almost everything he has to wenger and asrenal

there is no way in hell he is leaving in the summer and no sign to indicate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    I'm not nitpicking but those figures don't add up?!?! :(

B.
    Yes you are.;) What is there to add up to? They paid E15m for the player and depending on appearances they might have to pay an additional E9.5m.
    what makes you think that??
    henry owes almost everything he has to wenger and asrenal

there is no way in hell he is leaving in the summer and no sign to indicate that
    I think he was joking.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Yes you are.;) What is there to add up to? They paid E15m for the player and depending on appearances they might have to pay an additional E9.5m.

Yeah I know that, but where does the 17million and 7million come into it???

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement