Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting two pc's

• 27-01-2004 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I need to transfer files and folders (about 10gb) from one pc to another, anyone know the best way to do this short of burning lots of cd's.
    Ideally I'd like to link the two together with some sort of cable if that's possible.

One is Windows 98se and the other is Windows XP
    I don't think there is room in the XP machine to add the drive from the 98se one.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

A newtwork card in both.
    Crossover cable between them
    two static ips eg. 10.0.0.1 & 10.0.0.2
    add them both to a workgroup
    make sure speeds are the same
    turn off Smart Card Authenication in XP Network Properties.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You could also remove the Drive from one, and just attach the power and IDE from the CD rom, and copy it over like that. You wouldn't need room in the PC, just leave the Hardrive outside the case, sitting on some antistatic surface.

Making a network connection is the best idea though, not as fast, but no messing around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you are afraid of all that network stuff, there is also the option of a Null modem cable. It will take a hell of a lot longer, but is somewhat easier to set up. This cable can be picked up for around 15 Euro in any computer shop and plugs into the serial port of each machine.

In Start->Accessories (on both machines) there is usually a direct cable connection icon. Pick one as the host (try the XP machine) and the other as the guest.

You should be able to drag an drop files between the two (make sure and share out the relevant drives on both).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

If you have network cards installed get network cable,plug in,go to xp help and support,network section,setup wizard,put in floppy and it will write all on floppy.Put floppy into 98se,boot up,open floppy run network program and its done.I have no knowledge of networking really but this is what i done and all is good.I can use internet on other computer and get 100mps and my cable is at least40 feet long. regds kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by kmb
    I can use internet on other computer and get 100mps and my cable is at least40 feet long. regds kieran

With a CAT5 ethernet cable and 100mb/s netword cards you will get a 100mb/s network up to 100meters of cable. After that it will fall to 10mb/s. Also only the network is running at that speed, not the internet.

Best way is once again a crossover cable with a static IP for each PC. Very simple and easy. Or if there is a Firewire port on both PCs get a firewire cable as that will give you 400mb/s and will be a hell of a lot faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Cheers everyone, thanks for the info.
    No network cards I'm afraid but I like the sound of the null modem cable way.
    Thanks again to all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Advertisement