Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JavaScipt Question

Options
  • 27-01-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've written a JavaScript file that will calculate the score that a person got on an online quiz that was written in HTML using forms (similar to The Spark). That's all well and good, but I'm wondering is it possible to save the results of the quiz on the website, so that you can see what was the distribution of scores?

To see an the Javascript file I'm talking about, go here

Can I do this in JavaScript? Or do I have to do it in another language?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You need some other language to do that. PHP or a CGI PERL script are perhaps the most commonly supported. First you need to find out if the webserver supports them, then you need to write a script that will save the results either to a database, or (more probably) a text file, for another script to read/display.

HTH
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you're probably thinking of a page that shows the person their score, and asks for their name.

So you just have a form with a textbox, and a hidden field that's their score, and then a submit button that hands these two pieces of info over to another page, PHP/Perl/Jsp/Whatever which then writes the name and score to a db or text file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Thanks. I don't really care too much about the name, more the score so I can get a statistical spread. As for the webserver supporting this, it's a college net society and i know some commity members, so maybe, but i haven't looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭boomdogman

can I post a v. short javascript here which was suppose to swap images in continuous roation but just causes a stack overload instead. Twill be just text, wont harm any ones computer! Could do with help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Syth, yeah more than likely the webserver at least supports PERL CGI.

boomdogman, sure .. but you might get a better response starting a new thread.

.cg

• Advertisement
Advertisement