Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mydoom Worm!

• 27-01-2004 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

DAMN THE PERSON WHO WROTE THAT WORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    okay question time: is downloading the source code for a virus or worm illegal???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I R L33T HAX0R, I SND j00 SOURCE CODE NOW K THKS

PS. I R L33T, I GOT r00t on ALL j00r BoX0rz

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

okay question time: is downloading the source code for a virus or worm illegal???

No, but why would you want to do it?

Don't tell me it's to protect yourself better, because it won't help (the time it takes for you to get the source of a new worm is probably way longer than the time it takes for updates for AV apps to be out, unless you write the worm, which IS illegal).

If you want to understand how they work, read the infopages on the AV companies sites.

I cannot see any legitimate good reason for wanting to DL virus source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 n00bee_cracker

Originally posted by muffen

I cannot see any legitimate good reason for wanting to DL virus source.

I need to use it as an example in a project I'm doing for college!
    thats a pretty legitimate reason for doing it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

What project would ever require you to download a virus' source code?
    Write your own.

Unless, of course, you are 13 years old as your nick and overuse of exclaimation marks would imply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dear Friend,
    my computer was infected by a virus and I may have sent it on to you. Please check for a file called wscript.exe or cscript.exe, if you find them delete immediatley and send a copy of this email to everyone on your mailing list immediatley to warn them to.
    Your Friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ummm.......people seem to be going crazy about this thing.

I haven't received a single suspicious email since it started. I feel all warm and cosy....like being wrapped in sunshine.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Seamus - you are one of a quickly diminishing group :P

We've blocked several hundred so far today... and the number is not dropping

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Dear Friend,
    my computer was infected by a virus and I may have sent it on to you. Please check for a file called wscript.exe or cscript.exe, if you find them delete immediatley and send a copy of this email to everyone on your mailing list immediatley to warn them to.
    Your Friend.
    Uh....don't.

They're windows system files, and are found on Windows XP (at least).

Capt'n Midnight, tis probably best to double-check all warnings to delete stuff you receive by email. If you have virus software installed, you'll be safer to ignore all warnings to delete stuff via email and just keep your virus db up-to-date. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'd imagine our dear Captain was merely expressing his taste for irony.

And for the original poster, the source code for this particular worm hasn't appeared in the usual places yet so I wouldn't bother asking here.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sico
    I'd imagine our dear Captain was merely expressing his taste for irony.
    A reread of teh post indicates you may be right. I have to get used to the subtle humour of these security types.

All mailboxes still clean this morning :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Well someone did request SOURCE CODE for a virus :)

(ok it was a virtual virus)

BTW: the files are used for VB scripting so it might stop some .VBS viruses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

ndisasm worm.exe

What's to know about s0urce code?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

BTW: the files are used for VB scripting so it might stop some .VBS viruses

You can disable the Windows Scripting Host by changing one regkey, which is much better than deleting files. There's a tool on the Symantec site that does it, or you can find the regkey you need to change by using google.

Advertisement