Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanna get a new machine, need advice

• 27-01-2004 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Im strongly considering getting a new PC, Ive got about 1500 euro to spend and have been trying to decide what to get.

Im really tempted to try and build something myself but have no real idea whats involved. I have added cards and hard drives to my computers before but Im a bit worried that Ill go and buy components that either dont go together or else are not as good as what else is available.

I was wondering if someone could explain the difficulty involved in building a pc and maybe recommend what I should buy component wise?

Also, I was wondering, would it be a better idea to simply buy a pre built machine from Dell.

Im a software engineering student so Im gonna be using this new machine for programming, flash and 3d graphics. I wont be playing any games on it apart from Championship Manager. I have an Xbox, what more could you need!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,582 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

first of all let me tell you that building a pc is like building lego it's simple.

myself was infact given the task of building my first pc in the summer and i done it and it took about 3 hours cos i took my time and double checked everything.

i would advise going with dell, for two reasons

1. i have had bad experience with them.
    2. **** all upgradeability. (you can change most components but not the motherboard)

my suggestion would be be to build a pc based on intel P4 HT chip, i'm in a rush atm so i'm sure some1 could spec a machine for you.

the P4 will be great for programming and 3d graphics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 n00bee_cracker

Please don't but from Dell. They Rip you off. for €1500 you can get a lot. it's not very difficult to build your won machine their are many tutorials on the net. just search on google.
    if you want to buy a good quility computer go to www.dawnmicro.com they do some really good deals. they are based in Dublin. you can get a pretty good pc for about €450 so with €1500 you could do a hell of a lot more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

Seeing as your an it student i'd recomend buildin 1 simply cos you'll learn alot about how a computer works, how it all fits together etc. If your gonna b in the business it would b very useful to know how the inside works aswell as the software part.

Build! Build i say!

Advertisement