Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry\Biology

Options
  • 27-01-2004 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I'm applying to Scotland for a course and the person there said its likely I'll be offered the course on the condition I get a B in Chemistry. I have no other subjects at the mo cos I'm taking a year out, I'm pretty good with sciences so I reckon I'll manage.

Just need some general help,

Anyone know how many experiments there is and their value on the exam?
    What topics should I cover first?
    Whats the best revision book? (rapid revision was great for physics)
    Anywhere I can do evening\weekend courses, institute etc

I may have to do biology too, so answers to the same questions would be great!

Also anyone know the cost of repeating these exams and where would I do them

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cats

The first three question on the paper are all based on the mandatory expt's, and you must do two out of the three questions. These mandatory expt's can also be examined as parts of other questions. There are only two text books available for the present course, and I would recommend Declan Kennedy's book called Chemistry Live(I think). Get hold of the past papers, however be aware that the present course has only been examined for the last 2/3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

There is a lot of waffle in both Chemistry Leaving Cert books that you don't need because they were made before the course was fully announced. But Chemistry Live is the better one and I would advise getting hold of a Chemistry Syllabus too so that you learn what you need to know and not what Mr Kennedy decides you should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

There are about 22/23 mandatory experiments in each subject and as cats pointed out 3 questions will be asked on these. However shorter questions can be asked on non-mandatory experiments in other sections.
    The biology course is new this year meaning 2004 will be first year of it being tested. There's only one official department sample paper but you can get others from edco and the like. The structure of it isn't as nice as the physics and chemistry ones.

Advertisement