Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Journey's beginning

• 27-01-2004 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I read the works and interpretaions, I learn the steps to meditation, but I wish to participate in a wider communiny (not neccissarily an internet one).

Where did you begin you journey as a buddhist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

It's true, in a way. In 1980 I was 17; I had been exploring the Christian tradition (i.e. Anglican Catholicism) for a time but had been reading some other things. I recognized both Buddhist and Taoist teachings in what Yoda and Obi-Wan were saying to Luke. That inspired me to do some more reading. I'm not sure when I identified as a Buddhist. I could check a calendar. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Im not sure I go for some of the teachings on reincarnation and I dont believe that life is necissarily about suffering however I have felt the meditation techniques helpful and I have found many truths in the philosophy. What books made a particullarly great impact on you

Goodness. Life isn't about suffering in Buddhist thought. But suffering is something that happens here, and understanding that and tactics for dealing with it are part of what Buddhism teaches.

I think one of the best basic introductions is Walpola Rahula's What the Buddha taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

I also disagree with any religion that makes me pay for stuff;)

Ill see if I can find a copy in the libury

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I always found balance is what was emphasised most, its certainly the thing I have taken most with me.

I don't mean a "balance to the force" sort of way either (although its a theme I see in the Ep's 4,5 & 6 in many ways), but getting the balance to life right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Sorry for gate-crashing here, but IMHO, if one feels the need to identify himself or herself by their religion, thats just wrong!

I am born to Hindu parents, and am greatly influenced by Buddhism, and after reading some texts on Christianity I happen to agree with most of the points made there as well - at this stage, if someone asks me what’s my religion, I wouldn’t know what to say! Well, to be honest, I wouldn’t even feel obliged to answer that question! I think, asking someone to define and match his/her beliefs to one of the world religions is very inconsiderate thing to do!

:)

Advertisement