Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO website taking a lot of hits from UK

Options
  • 27-01-2004 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

It is quite possible tha the points system may be distorted by the re-introduction of fees (about €4500 a year) in the UK by september. UK students in Ireland would pay fees as would Irish students ....thats to say more like €1000 per annum although the totally shockin price of gargle here will eat into the savings big time :D

It seems the CAO website has recently taken a higher level of traffic from the UK than would normally be the case.

Dunno how high points will go , nobody will really know until September as usual . It means that if you get a course you want and are thinking of a break ........make ABSOLUTELY sure you get yourself a deferral in case there is a serious point spike in 2005.

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I think when they actually suss out things like accomodation, word will get round that its a ripp off, and they'll stay in Britain, because they'd spend the same money for accomodation in Dublin as they would for fees in the UK + other expenses as you said!

I heard of a bunch of french eurasmus students who had to go back to france becuase they couldnt afford the accomodation, and so couldn't do the eurasmus year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I agree about Dublin prices. The point spikes may occur in cheaper locations like Limerick and Cork in particular.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I'm a UK student myself, who is hoping to study in Ireland for Uni. Obviously the 'free' fees is an attraction but I'd rather study in Ireland even if it cost the same.

It's a wee bit difficult though, because although I won't be paying fees if I study in Ireland, I also won't receive the grants that I'd get if I stayed in England. By that I mean the living bursaries etc so I'll probably find myself in the position of having to take out a loan for my first year, therefore placing myself in debt anyway!

What's Galway like for prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Wow. A 3 year old thread has been revived! Galway is one of the most expensive places in Ireland at the moment but it's student atmosphere is second to none!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Wow. A 3 year old thread has been revived! Galway is one of the most expensive places in Ireland at the moment but it's student atmosphere is second to none!
    Haha, didn't notice the post dates, I just searched for 'UK student' :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement