Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Repair

• 27-01-2004 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know a good place in Dublin that will fix laptops.

My cousin has a compaq laptop whose screen is dodgy. Screen goes green or red for a while then goes normal again. It happens when the laptop is turned on before OS loads so it aint an OS problem. Could be that the wires to the lcd are loose, not sure though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

It happens when the laptop is turned on before OS loads

So where is the problem.... If the screen is perfect when booted, whats the problem, some screens tend to flicker and change color when starting up so I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks joePC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

we had a problem with one of our laptops , sounds alot like this.

what was wrong with ours was the lead/cable/ribbon conecting the screen to the other part !! :)

All we needed to do was re-solder it back.

But we did have a different case where we had to buy a whole new lead/cable/ribbon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Some of the old armadas often suffer from that problem but they usually go whitescreened. Turn opening the panel just below the screen and make sure all the connections/cables are secure. I used to work for a company who fixed laptops called DSS 01 661 9531 but dunno if they deal with individual repairs instead of companies. There's another good crowd near the airport called Tritech, cant remember the number! Failing all that if you want to send it to me i'll fix it for you! Own computer shop in Portlaoise, we'll certainly give u a quote for repairing it if you want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

The screen is red/green when turned on, when it is running through bios post test, so it is a hardware problem and not a software one.

pclancy,

Have you experience in fixing laptops? I will see if there is anybody I know who could drop it down to portlaoise. Do you open on saturdays or is your shop Mon-Fri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Sounds like a cable problem. Don't think you'll need soldering gear unless it's awful old. Most laptops made in the last 5ish years have the ZIF (zero insertion force, I think) connections for that kind of thing.

Download a screw guide from hp.com and take it apart yourself. Reseat the cable from the board to the lcd. If that doesn't do the job - get a quote on a replacement part from compaq/hp.

They is smaller parts but not an awful lot more difficult to maintain than a standard pc.

Sounds like the panel is fine if the OS is ok. I'd be inclined to do nothing unless it was affecting the OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

yep we fix laptops allright, if you want to drop it into the shop we'lll have a look no bother. We're open saturday 11 till 6.

Advertisement