Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long would a radeon 9800 pro last if i bought one in terms of futureproofness?

• 27-01-2004 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

So it this a futureproof card...there going for a nice price now so im wondering...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

I would say it will last for about a year and half if lucky

I got my Radeon 7500 year 2002 and that cost me 230euro
    at the time no card would beat it

most graphics card at time were selling for 70-150 euro

looks like history repeating itself

and ATI taking you euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I got my Radeon 7500 year 2002 and that cost me 230euro at the time no card would beat it.

Did that not come out with the 8500 which was a better card also i think the geforce 3 was out at that time aswell which was better than the 7500.
    I am still using a geforce 2 and it runs games fine but not at a high detail. It depends how nice you like your games to look . The geforce 2 was out in 2000 which is 4 years ago .

I would think your 9800 would be good for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,653 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    2 weeks

LOL - you pessimist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

how long would a radeon 9800 pro last if i bought one in terms of futureproofness?

Depends on what you do with it.. bang it in the floor real hard and it won't even last one min :)

Seriously, it really depends... mainly on you :)

It's unlikely that there will be a much faster card released this year... but it will come.. and then it just depends on what you find acceptable..

For example, my roomate hates playing Star Wars KOTOR on my computer cause he thinks it doesn't run smooth (I have a GeForce3). Personally, I think it looks alright and I couldn't care less... so it just depends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Coupled with a decent CPU & a gig of ram you should be able to run Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Stalker and the like at a good resolution with high detail.

I've messed with the Stalker alpha build and Far Cry demo with my 9800 non-pro and been very happy with my FPS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Use it for a couple of months and be happy with it. Then when the new cards start to be seen buy yourself a good cooler and ramsink set and OC the card. You'd be surprised what you can push out of these cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I have mine since they were available. You should easily get a year out of one. I certainly won't be upgrading until PCI Express is available.

Advertisement