Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

v.92 modems

Options
  • 27-01-2004 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

With the increase in line rental & where broadband is not available.

Are V.92 external modems worth it - if you have one copper line going into a house?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Well, the speed will be slightly faster, but depending on your line your connection may become more unreliable (if it does, add the modem command +MS=V34.)

Broadband really is the only way to go... I can't imagnie being back on shítty 56k...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

V.92 offers:
    1. Call waiting -i.e. voice call pick up when on line
    2. V.44 compression supposedly increasing speeds
    3. Increased upstream from existing (32Kbit/s - V90)

There's very mixed reports about their real usefulness though. A lot of people say speeds are slower and regular disconnects are a feature.

Also check that your ISP supports the standard

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

I have been told (by Eircom I hasten to add) that no telephone lines in Ireland or indeed Europe for that matter are v92 compatabible(after being transferred to 4 different operators who had never heard of it!!), although my computer manufacturer reccomends IOL or UTV as they do support v92

What is the position in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    I have been told (by Eircom I hasten to add) that no telephone lines in Ireland or indeed Europe for that matter are v92 compatabible(after being transferred to 4 different operators who had never heard of it!!)...

Are you sure you weren't talking to their sales staff? I seriously doubt their technical support team never heard of v92.

Initally their sales staff, but then got on to technical support who gave me the reply as posted above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    I have been told (by Eircom I hasten to add) that no telephone lines in Ireland or indeed Europe for that matter are v92 compatabible(after being transferred to 4 different operators who had never heard of it!!)
    That can be filed in the box marked "horseshit". It's pretty appalling that they told you that as fact.

Yes, I suppose the fact that I was also enquiring on the procedure for cancelling an Eircomnet Anytime account, in favour of moving to another service provider who would support v92, in the same breath, might have had something to do with the response.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by Cork
    With the increase in line rental & where broadband is not available.

Are V.92 external modems worth it - if you have one copper line going into a house?
    Don't you love just monopolies ?

ESB have copper into your house - and while you can't get data over it you should be able to get voice. (Technically) - would solve the line rental problem PDQ - and you might be able to use sockets as extensions for the phone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

can u use call waiting when on the net so you don't miss calls?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

UTV support v92. It's not the line that's v92 enabled but the modem in the POP centre. I've used the Net Waiting feature and to be honest it doesn't work all that well so I don't even bother with it on anymore. I haven't really noticed much of a speed increase but reliability is pretty much the same as it always was. Uploads are a bit faster though so if you do a lot of uploading it would be worth it for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    Are V.92 external modems worth it
    Indidentally (running the risk of stating the totally obvious) it isn't just external modems that can be v92. plenty of internal v92 modems available as well. Probably only a few quid of a difference but at least it increases the choice available.

My modem is v90 (it's one of those 3com/USR pro message modems, AFAIK there isn't a firmware upgrade available to make it v92). I probably won't be going to broadband any time soon but I'm not going to change the modem just yet as the idiot-proof ansaphone feature on it suits me.

Advertisement