Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best young player in the world?

• 27-01-2004 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

(this is limited to players 21 or under!)

Who do you think is currently the best young player in the world?

Best young player? 79 votes

Kaká
    0% 0 votes
    Reyes
    25% 20 votes
    Fernando Torres
    11% 9 votes
    C-Ronando
    15% 12 votes
    Maxi Lopez (Goal scoring God at river plate)
    39% 31 votes
    Andrés Nicolas D'Alessandro
    3% 3 votes
    Ger O'Brien (haha, he is a legend in athlone)
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The only one i've seen play is Stepovers, and i'm not voting for him ;\

i vote for... Francesc Fabregas! :p
    maybe in a few years time he might be a realistic choice. i can only hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Aliminator

have not looked at the African Nations Cup? there was one amazing 18-yr old for.....mali...or was it kenya..amazing.

and u can't possibly have looked in South America Properly is C Ronaldo gets in that bunch, ( i know he's portuguese).there were far better players than him at the World Youth Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

the best young player in the world for his age is Freddy Adu. Away with your limited poll...away i tel you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Look, I've seen Adu play, I have a friend whoplays for New England Heat who plays against him 4 times a season (underage), heis good, and he has potential, but he hasnt even got a fix posistion yet, he can't be rated as amazing yet.
    Maybe in 4 years, not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Teddy Sheringham ;-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

He is playing u17/u19 and he about 14? thats pretty damned good ill admit.
    But still, it's raw potential, not actual ability.
    Remember when Man U paid silly money for a certain Mads Timm (I think they paid brondby something like £3m).
    At the time he was being called the next Laudrop, where is the hype now?

You can't tell at 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i cannot believe raphael van de vaart isnt on the list at 20 years of age he is the captain and chief playmaker of Ajax.

I missed a few, jeez...
    I made this post in about 5 seconds.

Now that I think of it, I wish I'd put Mexés and a few others in aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And what about le tallec ? The guy is fncking incredible when he gets a run. Did anybody see the goal he scored a couple of weeks ago, it was one of the best goals I have ever seen.

Lost a bundle of players with a one two, then turned two inside out and stuck it in the top corner from outside the box, it was a joy to behold. He won player of the tournament at the youth championships and yet he does noty make the list :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Guuuurl I got something to put in you, at the Gay Poll, Gay Poll, Gaaaaaaay Poll. woooooooo

pointless thread ++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

D'Allesandro is the pick of the bunch from what I've seen. Outstanding player imo.

Mads Timm is doing ok for Utd underage sides atm. Don't know if he'll ever make it but time will tell hes still only about 17/18 i think

Originally posted by Seaneh
    He is playing u17/u19 and he about 14? thats pretty damned good ill admit.
    But still, it's raw potential, not actual ability.
    Remember when Man U paid silly money for a certain Mads Timm (I think they paid brondby something like £3m).
    At the time he was being called the next Laudrop, where is the hype now?

You can't tell at 14.

Adu has been playing for under 21 America for ****s sake. He was also top scorer. He should be there. he is easily the hottest young property in the world. His coaches have not seen CURRENT ability this good in a 14 year old. His heading and dribbling is superb.

and he was born in: Date of Birth: 02/06/1989

the ONLY reason he is not at an international club is because of his age. His coaches advised his family this may not allow him to mature properly due to his "god given talent".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Adriano, plays for Parma.

I think Wayne Rooney is up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

fernando cavenaghi (river plate) ages 19-20 atm and has scored like 95 goals in 60 games from river afaik and his captain for them and argentina u 21's

Originally posted by PHB

I disagree. I think hes an ok player just that has been blown totally out of proportion by the English media. They always do this. I mean hes done very little for Everton this season and his goals for england came against the likes of the favourites for the next world cup, Liechenstein!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Don't know about the world, but James Milner is the best young player in the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by Seaneh
    (this is limited to players 21 or under!)

Who do you think is currently the best young player in the world?

me? :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PHB
    Adriano, plays for Parma.

Adriano does not play for parma. He used to play for Parma. Now he plays for Inter Milan.

Originally posted by smiaras
    Eh yeah he was born in Africa in Ghana as far as I remember, birth days mean nothing on that continent, there has already been a few murmurings about his age (I'm not saying that he's 28).

Well thats his date of birth. accept it.

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    Adriano does not play for parma. He used to play for Parma. Now he plays for Inter Milan.

Ah leave him alone Ronaldo its not his fault he hasn't the latest Championship Manager now is it :)

lol if i was going by the latest championship manager, he would be at Parma still. Exactly one week ago, Adriano moved to Inter.

Very similar player to Ronaldo(real madrid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

:eek: I am the first to vote for Torres. Bloody superb player. I bet if Arsenal didn't buy Reyes he wouldn't have got so many votes.

BTW - I really don't think Freddy Adu is 14 but he still is a quality player.

thats his date of birth. enough of the bull****.

And your right about the whole reyes thing.

Torres is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

i cannot believe raphael van de vaart isnt on the list at 20 years of age he is the captain and chief playmaker of Ajax
    Couldn't agree more.

Whoever put this list together needs their heads checked.

La Tallec and Pongolle won the last Youth WC single handedly. Milner could be put in the same boat as Rooney, average so far. The USA only has about 100 players so it's no wonder Adu is playing senior football. Reyes is only on the list because of the Arse.

(Note: David Collins was captain of Liverpool reserves at 16, where is he now!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

freddie adu. not a question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

aye, Van de Vaart is prolly the #1 atm.

give Freddy a few years and a european club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

tbh fernando cavenaghi for river plate
    http://www.soccerage.com/en/07/29629.html
    ^^ now thats ownage his birth date is wrong on that webby tho :/ hes actually 19

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

There's no way Milner is the best young player in the Premiership. Rooney is streets ahead of him, as is Jermaine Pennant, and even Peter Whittingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

This vote really should include Jaoqium from Real Betis.

Awesome young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I agree about Joaquin at Real Betis
    seen him playing against Real Madrid a couple of weeks ago and I must say the guy is amazing, very few young players as good as him, possibly the replacement for Figo when he retires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh, cool.
    Hammers home the point more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

how about diego?

he won the title for santos single handedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Rafael van der Vaart.
    Ricardo Quaresma is a better player than Cristiano Ronaldo imo, but you left him out too.

I agree about Joaquin at Real Betis
    seen him playing against Real Madrid a couple of weeks ago and I must say the guy is amazing, very few young players as good as him, possibly the replacement for Figo when he retires

What makes you think Betis would sell him to Real Madrid? I can't see them selling him for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

I think Joaquin will want out if Betis don't get European football (in fairness for a player of his skill do you blame him.....with the team as low as 17th in La Liga up to 3 weeks ago), there's a lot of speculation on the terraces in betis that he will one day end up at Madrid, who knows though.......the president is a bit of a madman and said last summer that if Joaquin wants a move during contract he can move......... but only to somewhere like turkey or russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The fact that ronaldo is winning this poll tells you all you need to know about the quality and knowledge of this board.

:rolleyes:

indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Damn straight.

Posted by Dustaz

The fact that ronaldo is winning this poll tells you all you need to know about the quality and knowledge of this board.

Strange comment from a guy who has over 6000 posts on the board and with 4 per day. Obviously you think he was a good choice that goes for Kaids and DapperGent 2

I think it is more of a reflection that it is a poor selection to choose from.

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Strange comment from a guy who has over 6000 posts on the board and with 4 per day. Obviously you think he was a good choice that goes for Kaids and DapperGent 2

I think it is more of a reflection that it is a poor selection to choose from.
    I nominate this for most non-sensical post of the year.

Maybe you would like me to explain it to you. Too many Syllables for you is it? Maybe Dustaz has a point after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if you were up against any player in the world, 1 on 1 you wouldnt want it to be cristiano ronaldo. his stepovers are probably the fastest in the world along with denilson and his acceleration is superb. (he's good pace but not great).

enough of these young players, nobody here has seen van der vaart, reyes, juaquin, torres or adriano etc week in week out. as for commenting on south american, african players?! come on we've probably seen them once or twice ever.

ronaldo is the best in the world simply because we know what he can do and nobody can stop him. a few glowing references from biased coaches and one or two class games isnt enough to judge a young player.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

From the list, Kaká. Never seen most of the ones mentioned actually play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by smemon
    if you were up against any player in the world, 1 on 1 you wouldnt want it to be cristiano ronaldo. his stepovers are probably the fastest in the world along with denilson and his acceleration is superb. (he's good pace but not great).

Jay Jay Okocha has more tricks up his sleeve than Ronaldo could possibly fathom so if you think Ronaldo is the best player in the world you're deluded. I'm not saying Okocha is but Ronaldo is so over-rated it's not even funny.

Originally posted by smemon
    enough of these young players, nobody here has seen van der vaart, reyes, juaquin, torres or adriano etc week in week out.

How do you know?
    Originally posted by AthAnRi

He means the Soccer board smart ass.

Posted by Tupac Wannabe

He means the Soccer board smart ass.

Well if he is so upset by the level of intelligence then why the hell is he posting here. It doesn't take a high level of intelligence to ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i think we have to give ronaldo time to adapt to the english game.

at the moment i wouldn't put him in any team of mine, seems to have a distinct lack of ability to cross the ball except from dead ball situations. watching him on sat he seemed to fool himself more than the defenders and fell over on numerous occasions.

agree with the okatcha quote, he really does have tricks. ronaldo only seems to do step-overs. could be wrong tho. people should keep an eye on this diego guy from santos, prob a bit biased because my team spurs have been after him but i have seen clips and stats of him and seems like a legend in the making.

on the subject of portugese and young players, how about postiga!!

Postigas looks like a decent player. He's lacking a bit of confidence at the mo but that will come with age and a few goals.

Agree that Jay Jay is a bag of tricks but he's barely U31 never mind U21.

• Advertisement
Advertisement