Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm moving to get Broadband - where do I go!!

• 27-01-2004 11:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

I'm moving house in 6 weeks - I live in Ranelagh but after months of failure with eircon and failing line-of-sight tests with Irish Broadband, I've decided I'm just going to move so that I can get Broadband...

Now - I want to live within about 3 miles of Ranelagh (work etc) so that limits my new location. Question is - where am I garunteed to get a broadband service?

Seems to me at the moment its just pot luck. Even if I get an area with an enabled exchange, I've no garuntee my line will pass. Or if I go to an area that IS within wireless range, whats to say there won't be trees/ tall buildings in the way?

Ok, other than posting an ad looking to rent a gaff that already has broadband, where do I move to to increase my chances of successfully getting it? Keep in mind I'd like to stay in Dublin 4 or 6 and certain parts of dublin 2,6W,8,12, 14 or 16 (i.e. the parts closer to Ranelagh)

If you have BB in any of the above areas, can you post who you subscribe with any give the service a mark out of 10?

Do you have broadband in any of these areas? 8 votes

Harolds Cross/ Kimmage
    0% 0 votes
    Rathmines/Rathgar
    12% 1 vote
    Ranelagh/Clonskeagh
    0% 0 votes
    Donnybrook/Ballsbridge
    37% 3 votes
    Rathfarnham/Terenure
    37% 3 votes
    Tried but failed for area 1
    12% 1 vote
    Tried but failed in area 2
    0% 0 votes
    tried but failed for area 3
    0% 0 votes
    tried but failed for area 4
    0% 0 votes
    tried but failed for area 5
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i know donnybrook has IBB from the Rte tower

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭incubus

donnybrook has irishbroadband and leap from the rte tower.
    radsl and esat dsl available from the nutley exchange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

Clonskeagh, D.14. Eircom, but looking to change. Service is very good, I just hate eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Now - I want to live within about 3 miles of Ranelagh

Damn, would have said Sweden, Japan or South Korea if it wasn't for that minor detail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Hey folks

I'm moving house in 6 weeks - I live in Ranelagh but after months of failure with eircon and failing line-of-sight tests with Irish Broadband, I've decided I'm just going to move so that I can get Broadband...

Now - I want to live within about 3 miles of Ranelagh (work etc) so that limits my new location. Question is - where am I garunteed to get a broadband service?

Seems to me at the moment its just pot luck. Even if I get an area with an enabled exchange, I've no garuntee my line will pass. Or if I go to an area that IS within wireless range, whats to say there won't be trees/ tall buildings in the way?

Ok, other than posting an ad looking to rent a gaff that already has broadband, where do I move to to increase my chances of successfully getting it? Keep in mind I'd like to stay in Dublin 4 or 6 and certain parts of dublin 2,6W,8,12, 14 or 16 (i.e. the parts closer to Ranelagh)

If you have BB in any of the above areas, can you post who you subscribe with any give the service a mark out of 10?

thats a bit drastic aint it, moving just to get BB, its a bit faster is all

NOTICE SHINS RESIGNED TONE IN THAT LAST SENTENCE

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Does anyone know how high up the RTE tower IBB's antenna is ?

This is a high tower - can't see how anyone can fail LOS within 4 miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

The RTE mast is 360ft high.

LOS (for VHF anyway) can be approximated by: squareroot (height/100) x 13.8
    (answer is in miles)
    So if you assume that the aerial is at the top of the mast, the VHF range would be 26 miles, but wireless broadband signals are at much higher frequencies, and in general , range decreases with increasing frequency. So you can expect the range for wireless broadband to be significantly less than 26 miles. Obstructions such as buildings etc, especially in a city environment will also decrease the range of the signal further. At a guess I'd say you'd be lucky to pick it up within 3 or 4 miles of the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

How could you fail in Ranelagh if it's at 360 feet , even at 2.5G.

Antenna must be at the bottom of the mast. There might be some interference rules about max coverage in this band preventing them going higher!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Failed in ranelagh due to dense foilage blah blah - I'm not moving specifically to get broadband, I'm moving anyway, but I want to make sure I can get broadband in the area I move to, hence the poll... its not looking too successful though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Have IOL in Ballsbridge, perfect stuff so it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Killah_B
    Failed in ranelagh due to dense foilage blah blah
    I have news for you. "dense foliage" exists in every single one of the areas you listed. There are also plenty of areas without "dense foliage", even in Ranelagh.

IBB have coverage in all the areas mentioned. But there's no guarantee that any individual property won't miss out because of "dense foliage" or other obstructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Move to Japan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

what about areas with NTL Broadband? They are in parts of 6W????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Hey folks

I have Magnet, and they seem very good, albeit expensive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

7 years later, seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement