Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop on the UCD Network

Options
  • 28-01-2004 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop that's set up to access the wired/wireless network in the Quinn building.. How can I set it up to access the network when I'm plugged into ethernet ports in other parts of the campus? (library, Roebuck).

Asked in computing support but they told me f*ck all about it... :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

TO my knowledge, each laptop comes with a unique ID. You go to computing services and ask them to recognise it on the network. When you plug in, it should work. You won't be able to access NAL, though.

Alternatively, if you have the right OS, you can have them install the Novell client and that means you'll be able to access your stuff remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

they have ethernet ports in the library?!?
    \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You get the IP address of the machine you are disconnecting and then set your laptop to be that IP after you take the Ethernet cable out of the computer and into your lap - get gateway etc settings from ipconfig -all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Duffman
    I have a laptop that's set up to access the wired/wireless network in the Quinn building.. How can I set it up to access the network when I'm plugged into ethernet ports in other parts of the campus? (library, Roebuck).

Asked in computing support but they told me f*ck all about it... :P

Same as in Quinn. Plug it in and away you go.

Or buy a wireless card. None of this stuck to the wall crap.

Originally posted by Seraphina
    they have ethernet ports in the library?!?
    \o/
    No joy for you my dear. Remember what I told you about aving to register your machine? :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    You get the IP address of the machine you are disconnecting and then set your laptop to be that IP after you take the Ethernet cable out of the computer and into your lap - get gateway etc settings from ipconfig -all.
    Not that simple. Every MAC address on the UCD network is known. Unknown MAC, no access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Originally posted by seamus
    Same as in Quinn. Plug it in and away you go.

Wired and wireless work perfectly in Quinn. When I plug into a random ethernet port in Roebuck though, it connects to the LAN (ie. sends and receives packets) but I can't get online... tried all the proxy servers and such... Does my MAC have to be registered separately or something? or do the ports there have fixed ips?
    Or buy a wireless card. None of this stuck to the wall crap.

Any other wireless nets on campus apart from Quinn?

Wired and wireless work perfectly in Quinn. When I plug into a random ethernet port in Roebuck though, it connects to the LAN (ie. sends and receives packets) but I can't get online... tried all the proxy servers and such... Does my MAC have to be registered separately or something? or do the ports there have fixed ips?
    Hmm. We don't know much about what goes on in the Quinn building since ILTG look after that. I assumed student's MACs were registered. Maybe not.
    When you connect in roebuck, can you get onto the ucd website?
    Any other wireless nets on campus apart from Quinn?
    Wireless hubs in Daedalus Building, Glenomena Residences, Conway Building, Smurfit's (Blackrock). Allegedly there's one in Comp. Sci as well, but I'm not sure about that. She may have just been getting a signal from the Conway building (although that's a bit far away).

Originally posted by seamus
    Hmm. We don't know much about what goes on in the Quinn building since ILTG look after that. I assumed student's MACs were registered. Maybe not.
    When you connect in roebuck, can you get onto the ucd website?

Nope, actually come to think of it I wasn't able to ping anything, inside or outside the ucd domain. You're probably right about ILTG. The Quinn network seems to be sort of separate... I think more firewall ports are open when connecting within the building for example. If I go into Daedelus will they register my MAC?

Pity there aren't more Wireless APs... One in the library would be handy...

Nope, actually come to think of it I wasn't able to ping anything, inside or outside the ucd domain. You're probably right about ILTG. The Quinn network seems to be sort of separate... I think more firewall ports are open when connecting within the building for example. If I go into Daedelus will they register my MAC?
    Lol, nope we sure won't.
    I checked the ILTG website. Your MAC has already been registered. If you ordered from the Dell scheme it's automagically registered afaik.

Your best bet is ask ITLG or pop into Daedalus and we'll fumble about with it.
    Pity there aren't more Wireless APs... One in the library would be handy...
    Yah, twas only a test scheme afaik, and there've been no further plans to expand it. I'd expect most of the buildings to have a wireless hub somewhere in the next couple of years.

So many non-commerce people have laptops these days. I'd love to have rich parents :dunno:

• Advertisement

'ere seamus you seem to know your stuff, can you tell me why iltg refused to tell me how to setup mozilla?

alternatively you can tell me how to do it :)

They refused to tell you how to do it? Morons.

Download Mozilla
    Open the setup file. Click 'install'.
    Done.

Or were you looking for a different kind of setup? :D

*sigh* - I'll do it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

*me claps*

its blocked seamus :( and yes they out right refused to tell me how to set it up. I tried explaining to them that is was more secure then IE but they were having none of it. Meanwhile my browser has yet again been hijacked.

Blocked? As in "you do not have sufficient priviledges"?

You trying to install it on your laptop or a College machine?

If its the priviledges thing, download Mozilla Firebird instead and unzip it to your H: drive, then put a shortcut on your desktop. Should work fine for you.

If it's your own laptop, pop into Daedalus and I'll have a look.

ill pop into daedalus so.

Advertisement