Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Query

• 28-01-2004 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

Ok so i'm going to buy an 80 gig hdd and 256 mbs of RAM to add to this box. Currently I have a 20gig hdd and 128 mbs of RAM on an athlon 1.0 ghz. Now what i want to do is have the new harddrive as the primary and the 20gig as the slave. I also want to install XP onto it. This is where it gets tricky, my girlfriend has a Compaq QuickRestore cd for her PC with XP on it, so i was wondering can i just pop that into my pc and roberts your fathers brother, or is there some trickery involved. The PC i'm on now is my current one with Win ME on it. Sorry if i'm making no sense. Ask questions and i'll try to answer. (Also i assume getting pc100/133 sdram is the way to go)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

The Compaq QuickRestore CD will have the settings particular for her comptuer (i.e. modem drivers etc). Technicially, you could use that, then reinstall your settings/drivers over it. The QuickRestore CD will have XP Home edition, if that makes any difference to you at all.

But all in all, you're better off just disconnecting your current drive from the computer, and loading a fresh install of XP onto the new drive, setting the 20Gb as a slave drive, and copying whatever you need off that onto the new drive.

The RAM will certainly help with an installation of XP anyway, though 512Mb is advised.
    Mess about with the 80Gb as much as you like, just make sure that the original 20Gb is safely out of the way.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

bump! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

maybe but probably not,

it depends entirly on the cds,

if her compaq has a hidden hard drive partition, then her remaster process will retatoo her hdd during the process. this process CAN NOT work on your pc ever,

however..... if its an older model, AND uses a bastardised of norton ghoast(sp?) then itll just ghoast a new image onto your hdd, then restart and install any diff drivers you have and delete the old+unwanted crap!

however.... some just have the bog standered restore cds which CAN NOT be used either

so ........ it depends

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yeah some brand name restore CD's use clonign sw and check which type of PC they are on (BIOS scan ?) and refuse to install on other brands.

But since you don't have a license you can't install it 'cos OEM licenses are non transferrable.

By pirating software you are helping to perpetatue microsoft's monopoly and you will have fun trying to activate it and your hair will fall out and the lice of a thousand camels will fester in your loins.

In the unlikely event it is an upgrade or full retail copy of XP and it's being removed from her PC then ignore the above rant...

Advertisement