Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My new car!

Options
  • 28-01-2004 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Well lads, a grueling few months have passed since my focus was whipped from under a retarded car salesmans nose, the search for the perfect car has now come to an end!

On monday I got my self a 1.4L 2002 Mark5 civic in immaculite condition. Im not saying what i paid for it, but it was a fair price for 5k on the clock! Its Dark Metallic blue and looks great!

I have yet to pick the car up, its being lowered 50mm to take on these bad boys! The licence plates are rubbish on the car, so i have to take new ones to the lads and they are replacing it for when i pick it up. Also im getting the windows slightly tinted.

As some of you know, i had an interest in changing the look of my car a little - but i have streyed from that idea ever since i sat in the car.

Ill throw some pics up later this week, or next week (when ever i get my insurance sorted out and i can take it home :))

Yippie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

reddy, IIRC, you're only a young 'un. How much are you gonna be paying insurance-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Yer, im 20, with 3 years as a named driver on a company van no claims.

tpft 3700
    FC 5100 from hibernian

Quinn Direct - tp 3200
    no quote FC

I was told to ask AA, afaik they are pritty competitive. As long as i pay for the car, my dad said hed help out with the insurance as my 21st bday pressie and for giving up smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by red_ice

tpft 3700
    FC 5100 from hibernian

Quinn Direct - tp 3200
    no quote FC

I was told to ask AA, afaik they are pritty competitive. As long as i pay for the car, my dad said hed help out with the insurance as my 21st bday pressie and for giving up smoking

The AA won't quote you if you're 20. Their minimum age is 28 link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

tpft 3700
    FC 5100 from hibernian

m8, are those Wolfrace Ikons? I have them iswell on my focus :D

I've also been driving 3 yrs on a company van (50,000 miles), no claims but it meant sweet f*ck all to the insurance companies. All they care about is NCB's :mad:
    I'm 22 now, but was 21 when first got insured on the 1.4 focus. Cost €4609 for TPFT. Now its gone down to €2400 which I'm happy enuff with for the time being anyway.

The civic is a fast little thing :D Me thinks you won't be dissapointed. What kinda BHP does the 1.4 civic kick out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

The civic is a fast little thing

One of the reason young drivers pay so much for car Insurance !!!

its 95 BHP i think :)

My dad has this notion in his head that were gonna mod the engine and add 50bhp onto it. Im not to pushed, i can wait for a bit till i get bored with it :P

It is a pokie lil car alright, the responce is amazing, i couldnt believe how nippy it is - but thats prolly coz im used to driving a 2ltr desiel van!

For some reason insurance companies rate the civic as a 'performance' car, but i cant really agree, its just a 1.4 ltr engine im paying for - nothing more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

For some reason insurance companies rate the civic as a 'performance' car, but i cant really agree, its just a 1.4 ltr engine im paying for - nothing more

The engine is very powerful on your car, better than the average 1.4l, hence 'peformance' car.
    No wonder your ins quote is that high, they think you are a boy racer, are you surprised ? ! :)

hah, im not a boy racer! Im a Man Cruiser... or something :p

Im not that fussed about my insurance as my dad agreed to take a lump out of it for my 21st, so it can only get cheaper in the future (providing i dont crash - please god!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Agree. I don't know why they think that, I think they've just associated the car with boy racers ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

if you want performance in a 1.4l engine, try an Alfa Romeo 146 T-spark.. 110bhp, and not on the insurance radar for expensive insurance either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

1.4L 2002 Mark5 civic in immaculite condition.....................................................................................................................................! Its Dark Metallic blue and looks great! ......................................................I its being lowered 50mm to take on these bad boys! The licence plates are rubbish on the car, so i have to take new ones to the lads and they are replacing it for when i pick it up. Also im getting the windows slightly tinted.

Just what the streets need, another CIVIC which the owner thinks is "unique"! Another "Individual"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Congrats Red ICE - if its the EK model, you can quite easily bring it to 110BHP. Don't mind anyone who slags the Civic - if they are happy with their 3 Wheelers let them at it, they clearly don't understand what an excellent and well built car the Civic is.

BTW careful lowering it to 50mm , if those wheels are 17s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so it can only get cheaper in the future

You'd think thats a fairly safe assumption wouldn't you? Apparently not in Ireland where insurance can and does go up and down for absolutely no reason. Like the completely inexplicable reason my insurance went up more than €400 last year. No crashes, no claims, no nothing. I can't wait to see what my premium will be this summer. Higher or lower? Who knows?

Originally posted by ondafly
    BTW careful lowering it to 50mm , if those wheels are 17s

Yer, i decided not to lower it that much as im really worried about damaging my rims, so ive gone to 35-40. The wheels are 18s :)

I dont really care what 'Rodney Trotter' says about civics. The bottom line about the modded civic community is that some lads go over the top with modding. I never said i wanted something 'unique', just a lil different :)

Im pickin the car up on saturday, doin the springs on sunday, along with my wheels and licence plate which i got off the lads in visionFX about 20 minutes ago. Im lookin into a light tint, something that doesnt go too dark, i dont want to have a huge contrast with the paintjob on the car itsself - the tint is workin out at 230 euro, which i think is a fair enough price.

Pics on saturday mornin!

Cheers lads

reD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Congrats. I assume it's a 3 door.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

dats gunna be a lovely looking car, best of luck to ya! Dont mind the civic slaggers, they've never owned/drove one so dont know what fantastic cars they are!

Just keep her between the ditches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

Have you mentioned the mods to your insurance company???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

doin the springs on sunday

Please dont tell me your just doing the springs and leaving your OE dampers? You'd be much better off getting a matched springs and dampers set. Load of reasons behind that but I'll let you go check out the articles on cruiseirl etc for them...

But any way best of luck with it I actually like new civics, well the type R any way, and esp the Group N Type R I was in last night :p.

Originally posted by Quorthon
    Have you mentioned the mods to your insurance company???

i take it you have something to do with insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

We all have something to do with insurance insofar as none of us wants to be hit by an uninsured driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

i take it you have something to do with insurance?

No its just stuff like you are suggesting has to be declared to your insurance company - it will probably affect your premium and failure to declare may invalidate any claims you might make. I should warn you that any modding (even after-market alloys) immediately puts you in a "boy-racer" bracket.

oh and I am not personally affiliated in any way with the insurance industry in any way, other than I pay an outrageous amount each year for what would be considered a relatively modestly powered car in other countries :)

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I bought a 03 1.4 Focus there 2 weeks ago with 15 miles on her (show room car), insurance was €4100 fully comp with quinn direct (20 male, full licence, 3 years named driver experience, 0 penalty points) which seems decent enough.

anyway, i havent seem a new style civic with any a them sickening bodykits on them yet thank god, type r bodykit is lovely though.

Advertisement