Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like a CDRW?

Options
  • 01-03-2000 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭

Hi Boards Users

We are looking for suggestions for improving the site, getting new ideas and
    generally making Boards.ie a site with greater appeal.

Send your ideas to boards@spinsol.com. In return for all your hard work we
    have a cdrw and a epson color inkjet printer to present to the best and most
    helpful suggestions.

You must also complete a slogan in no more than 12 Words

So :- www.boards.ie is my homepage because ......

or someother clever boards related slogan we'll leave that up to your
    discretion/imagination just as long as its related to boards

Rules and Stuff

No Multiple spam entries.
    If you have lots of good suggestions each suggestion in a single mail will
    be regarded as a valid entry.
    Really good constructive suggestions only.
    Promotion ideas for Computers for Kids expecilly welcome.
    Employees of Boards Limited are not eligible.
    We reserve the right to change the rules as we think of new stuff.
    My or and other decision of the Boards Limited Staff is final and not subject to appeal.

Modification to rules No. 1
    ** The no free eamil account entry rule has been removed, however multiple spam type entries will be disallowed **

[This message has been edited by Vexorg (edited 01-03-2000).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Lads get Bubbles do make ye a proper disclaimer. There are far too many loose ends in that one smile.gif

Jimmy...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well that suggestion isnt going to win smile.gif

DeV.
    ps: the printer is tasty smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

No free mail account entries?
    BUT IT'S ALL I HAVE!
    I'm too scabby to pay for an ISP account.
    All my email addresses are at @yahoo.com, @indigo.gofree.com, @free.eircom.net and **** like that!!¬
    Whatz your problem with scabby people? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Can I enter?

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

oooooh

/me fixes his eyes on that cdrw

ummmm colours

main page looks a bit cluttered, if i was a newbie id be lost id say...emmmmmmmmmmmm

ehhhhh...

i can do some nice "post new topic" buttons?

you could make it kinda like slashdot with a news page where u can comment on news...

or am i just a nutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Sickboy .. we dont need no steekin disclaimer

Disclaimer ... if easily offended look away now!

Dead O'Santa what we dont want is someone flooding us with multiple entries from hotmail/yahoo/freemail accts as has happened in the past.

All legitimate entries will be considered if they have something to offer.

Acous

Exactely the kind of stuff were looking for, keep the ideas coming, regarding the main page, what do you mean by cluttered, and by being lost?

Bearing in mind that the site is offering more community based stuff like, live chat, access to news groups and the bulletin boards, so they get centre stage. The rest of the site sections are supposed to be just interesting,amusing and constantly changing and so, are in less prominent positions to the sides/and below.

Give us more info.

Thx for the feedback btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

How about a whole section of "bubbles sez"

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes I think a Bubbles Sez section would be sweet. Bubbles u can have the CDR and I'll take whatever's left, deal?

There you have it, the people want to hear from me :P

Its a deal SB smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

You could start by deleting posts which include the phrases

"we now have 20 computers..."
    "our server is a..."
    "we have coffee"
    "it's £** for the night"
    "our leased line is deadly"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have to agree with junkie (**** me this is becoming a habbit!)

People should not be allowed to have free advertising on the board. This for quake and quake community discussion. Not for deciding how much or little admins of net cafe's know about gaming.

If people/organisation want our favour, and want us to visit their places of business and/or use their services then they should get a paid advertisment, and do some good and contribute to the computers for schools campaign that this board is all about.

Christ, If I started to tell you all about my l33t new web page company you would all moan enough.

Lets get people to put up or shutup!

Vaggabond

Eat Electric Death www.electricdeath.com

With regard to the computers for schools.

I would side with the opinion it would be better to give to a school you know, or even you went to. I believe this is better than giving to a 'faceless' school.

There are some great community initiaves out there for places in Ireland/Dublin who are genuinely less well off than some other places. But a balance has to be struck between want and need. It is not an easy choice as to who or what needs a computer most. No school will refuse one, but the question is how you decide who gets it and who does not.

While I freely see that you must have set criteria, and who ever satisfies those criteria 'wins'. But do a group of people visit the school, to see how crap it is like..I cant say I would be a fan of that TBH. Do you send out a form for them to fill out, or do you simply ask the depart of education. You need a combination of the above.

Who installs this PC, who trains the users in the school. Schools are having a nightmare getting computer teachers/admins. As many people here can Im sure testify to.

IMHO we all have gone to one school or another, primary and secondary (in most cases at least!). Every corner of the county is represented here in one form or another. My opinion is that you/we accept 'applications' or reccomendations from members of the Irish Gaming community. Maybe someone out there plays quake or whatever and has a mate/family memeber/child in a school with no/****e computers.

I believe we help our own first.

For the record, I for one will freely give up my time, no conditions, for this project if needed.

Vaggabond

Eat Electric Death www.electricdeath.com

Tell me more about your new web developement company vagga, sounds interesting !

just an example people can equate to bubbs - I dont give a fiddlers about web dev.

Junkie

We will take your comments on board about the postings from people from the net cafes, however the people from Nethouse really do contribute, they have let team.ie practice for free, they have sponsored Team.ie and they brought about the late nite netcafe lan gaming sessions afaik (in dublin).

They have also talked to us about advertising that aside they have contributed to the community, however i take your point that a lot of others are now jumping on the band wagon, or so it might seem, lets see what they bring to the table.

Vagga smile.gif

Its really computers for kids as opposed to computers for schools... i think computers for schools has become a catchphrase. Bubbles rightly pointed out that we should consider hospitals etc.

Just so people are aware what we are doing in relation to comps for kids:

We are:
    a) trying to get a years supply of subsidised computers from a major supplier/producer Dell Gateway Apple HP Fujitsu/Siemens i could go on ...

So if your mom dad brother sister granny wife ex- life partner or lover has a contact we really really want to talk to them.

b) We would like the computers for free of course, but we are being realistic and assume that we dont get a years suppley for free, so we want sponsors to pay to go on the front page to pay for the computers printers what ever we can get.

Again if you know someone who might take an advert/sponsorship place get them to make contact... we are doing this professionally smile.gif.

So get on to your local school, kids charity, kids hospital it really the most deserving and those that we believe can make the best use of the hardware that stand the best chance.

We want to give a minimum of 2 computers a month, thats close to 2 grand for decent spec'ed machines, so the more sponsors and least cost from suppliers means more computers.

We'll take your other points on boards Vagga but keep the ideas coming in and the discussion going we want this computer thing to get the maximum attention possible.

vex - I (and I bet junkie aswell)were trying not to name names..

We all know what shadow and the nethouse lads do, have done, and dont take it for granted one bit

Lads, I would have to wonder about leaving this too open and general.

As of now you are saying anywhere kids are they can get computers...

IMHO we should focus a small bit! If we were giving to one group of society, or area of the country we would have a better chance of getting a corporate partner on board, then going up, cap in hand saying we would like to give computers to some kids, somewhere!

My opinion is that we link with a designated charity, say for the ake of argument 'ISIDA' (Irish Sudden Infant Death Association - I did some work with them when I was in the students union in college) Charities will have the pulling powah, and the contacts. Linked in with a experienced, established and worthy charity we would get better results, quicker, and maybe even get other Irish web sites on board.

Vagga (Have'r of good ideas!)

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 03-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Nice one Vex, an jus for the record I never had a problem with Nethouse, they sponsored a sh!t load of stuff an I used to frequent their humble establishment back in the good ole days when Chiefy was workin there.

They gave back to us Quakers.

juNk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 delly_monster

I think you should allow all postings by people willing to setup LAN parties.

We all know the arguments;
    SPAM against GOOD INFO on where we can LAN.

There is a very simple way of determining whether its SPAM or not.

If its posted multiple times its SPAM, if there is one posting giving all the info then that should be allowed, and YES, that is advertising but its also information for people who want to find where LANS are goin on, and hey 90% of people want to do that here (maybe?).

Ive counted no less than 5 negative posts from Junkie on the topic of banning LAN organising, all saying the same. Jesus if that isnt SPAMMING what is?

• Advertisement

Ok I appreciate that some of the postings here are going off in a slight tanget, we probably do need a rant section.

Anyhow Delly dont be too concerned about what people say unless they have a go at you personally, dont assume that ppl are being negetive after all this is cyberspace and we have all had our fair share of misunderstandings about what we misread into what someone else said.

There are some complete and utter jerks out there and my advice is, if you cant do something about it ignore them and they will move on to someone else who will react to their purile posturing.

We all want to know about what lans are available its good for boards, its good for the lan holders, and its great for the people who attend. The post removal was not as a result of one or 2 peoples postings to the boards there are irc logs full of people asking to keep the threads on topic, it was not aimed at you nor WebHouse. I cant over emphasis this point "Don't take it so personally".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i agree with vaga on the organised charity bit
    and since tom is already doin his bit for tye kids (but doesnt like to talk about it) who wouls know better than where the money is going to and what for.
    it could be used to add to the moneys got from the likes of gealcon et al.
    after all, he did say hed give money to a charity i named for him.
    and stop all yer ****e talk about lan postings and pan postings and get on with it
    god, what a bunch of nambie pambies

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Comps for Kids - a great idea - with the Telethon thing coming up, you may be able to get roped in there and get some big time publicity. If you got it on the telethon, companies yould be queueing up to fire PCs at you for the massive good-will buzz they'll receive.
    Also, here in Castlebar, the Information Age Committee gave free PCs to clubs and societies of any shape and form. If you don't know what I'm on about remember that competition Ennis won years back for £15m IT Infrastructure from Eircom - we were runners up - £1m.
    The point is - they had 2 different OEM suppliers - Gateway and Dell. Gateway's stuff wasn't the best - lots of complaints (well justified as the machines were not put together very well). So, they went to Dell. No problem. What I'm trying to say, I don't think getting the PCs will be too big an issue if we can isolate/focus on a group as Vaggabond said above.

Another aspect of that - they were selling reduced price PCs to home users. Maybe you could take that slant on it.

Regarding the boards layout - very nice (I've even gotten used to the brightness with a pair of -> cool.gif ), but the main page is a tad mis-leading - I wasn't sure where exactly I was supposed to go (having said that, I was looking for the Quake Forum straight away smile.gif )

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 03-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

yeah i agree with kharn there... when u come to the main page it seems a bit overwhelming.

maybe some text saying what yere about.. putting some news about whats goin on so u can see its updated/active.

maybe im wrong like... feel free to disagree smile.gif

or am i just a nutter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

Lads you are all so passionate. I don't how ye have the time to read such long posts, yet alone respond! I've been in UL too long.
    gayness.
    Oh yeah, you can give me and omar the cdr and ink jet printer for our contribution to the online games community. I refer to "Take it" and "Om Nyom". Without these online gaming would be boring. smile.gif
    Oh dear, I'm writing a long post.
    gone.

PS someone give me a quake3 cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

u givin lip mister Jay from UL? Ya'd wanna watch it bai or yell be on de groun' cryin for ye mammeh.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hahahah ok, if it comes down to the slogan , then this:
    www.boards.ie is my homepage because .... Vexorg h@><0r'd my l33t browser!

is a winner in my mind.

To the people who think its hard to navigate, consider this:

In which of the following categories would you likely find recreational activities such as Quake etc.
    After Hours,
    Work
    Sport
    Technology
    For Sale

The reason it seems a little difficult is because we mostly go straight for Quake, but to a newbie the navigation is just right.
    Plus you have to remember we have Chat and Usenet-UBB to promote now, which we didnt before.

Some good ideas tho, remember the winner gets a CRW, the printer we are going to use for a different competition (I believe).

Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Jay

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Is this the thread on the boards where there's a misunderstanding? wink.gif

www.boards.ie is my homepage because .... Vexorg h@><0r'd my l33t browser!

Ok, I've nothing constructive to add, the only thing i don't like about the boards is the lack of black but i'm getting use to the off-white now. And besides redoing all the logos would be a pain in the @rse.

Everthing else about the boards is excellent.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 04-03-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

www.boards.ie is my home page because im a schoolchild and the computer that im using has it set as the default home page and makes it load every time and i cant change it!!

Advertisement