Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection with Monitored Alarm

• 28-01-2004 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi...
    I recently signed up to eircom BB and was told I needed the Engineer install cos I have a monitored alarm.

Is this actually true?
    My understanding is that with self install all i need to do is plug the splitter into the phone socket, connect that to the modem and connect the modem to the PC.

I was wondering how this interferes with a monitored alarm.
    The alarm has a direct connection to the phone line, so will take precendence over all calls or off the hook phones.

has anyone had any experience with this....and can I get away with just going with the self install option?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Yeah, I got bband in with a phonewatch alarm, basically the only reason you have to get an engineer is that the alarm has to be the first piece of equipment to get the dial tone. You can do it without the engineer, but the alarm will disconnect your broadband if it goes off.

ALso, Eircom wont let you have a self install pack if its a phonewatch alarm. I got the engineer myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by pleba

has anyone had any experience with this....and can I get away with just going with the self install option?

thanks

There's a lot of stuff in this forum about this topic. Look at

this article, which shows how to wire up for it. But for the record, a load of people seem to say that dsl works just fine even if phonewatch is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Pleba, what you are describing is what I did.

My daughter's friend, who installs alarms, phone systems, etc, had a look at the setup and confirmed that nothing had to be done re: the alarm.

I had the engineer over as my digital communicator got damaged by lightning and it works OK, except that if the alarm goes off, it will cut off broadband.

This is not really a problem is it?

Esentziak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by hughchal
    But for the record, a load of people seem to say that dsl works just fine even if phonewatch is installed.

I went out to a friends house to rewire his alarm for broadband recently and before I carried out the rewireing for the hell of it I checked if it would work through the alarm, it did with no problem at all. I rewired it anyway since I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

In regards the alarm they should put a splitter on it so that it doesnt get direct access to the line. I'm not 100% sure of how the system on the irish phonewatch system works (alas I work for Bt BB tech support) but basically in the UK some of the alarms check the presence on the phone line every now and then. Other run on the higher signals all the stopping BB and the pretest too in somecases.
    One things though I'm wondering about over here. Sorry it a bit off topic. But the eircom wireless phone that they do. The sms download to the phone at a higher freq than normal calls. Does this interfer with BB or the tests for BB if the line is set for one of these phones?

• Advertisement
Advertisement