Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Bargain maybe

• 28-01-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭

Hey I don't know if this qualifies as a true bargain (as i don't know what the quality is like) but PC World are doing a 2.4ghz celeron tower, with 40gb hdd, 128mb ram, 4 usb ports, internal modem, keyboard, mouse and speakers & winxp home for €350.

Seems like a bargain for someone looking for a starter pc, plus i'd imagine that it has the PC world 1 year guarantee too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

which pc world ... blanch or liffey valley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭savemejebus

actually pc world in limerick, but it should be in all the shops. Found out that it's an albacom pc, and is on their UK site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭LizardKing

oh right ... pcworld.ie only lists the dublin shops

heres the link to the uk shop and spec. of deal
    Cheap Albacomp P.C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

If it's the same spec in Ireland, that would make the Irish price substantially cheaper than the UK? £299 vs €350 :confused:

Are you sure its not €450 in Ireland?

the sign that i saw said €350, the pc wasn't very prominently displayed though, it was in with the desks and such and when i saw it i thought 350 was the price of the computer desk, i was well shocked to find out it wasthe price of the pc.

incidentally, they had the 15" monitor that goes with it in the bargain section for €75

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The processor and motherboard are end of line now that the new celerons are due shortly ....see Here

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Looks OK, but 128mb RAM is a bit light these days even for an entry-level machine. But I suppose you could always get another 128 off Komplett and still be getting a bargain. I wouldn't worry about the CPU and mobo being end-of-line. They'll still work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Any one get one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

PC World Liffey Valley didn't have any. They also didn't know what the hell I was talking about when I asked for it. They just kept saying that any Pc on display could be sold without the monitor!

However, they did have an offer on Wireless network cards 8011 G for only 54 euros which is quite good. Especially as the 8011 b cards were marked as being 69 euros!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

How much do they give you off the price of a PC if you don't take the monitor?

• Advertisement

Dunno....I suppose it depends on what monitor the system in question comes with. I didn't ask either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Went down to liffey valley, they are out of stock, they havea slightly higher spec machine 2.5ghz with combo cd burner dvd & network card for €400.

Arghgg...where are they in the shop? Damn those idiot sales assitants!

Edit: What are they called so I can ask for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A crap pc is never a bargain.

they're called albacomp pcs, see above for a link to the uk site and a description

Originally posted by bazH
    A crap pc is never a bargain.

True....but for that price, that spec is a good deal.

Now, if you're actually talking from experience of having used those specfic PCs and can therefore speak with authority, then that's a different matter.

Advertisement